Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1905 Lewis And Clark Exposition Cinderella Sheet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
26 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bluejay to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am primarily a coin and medal collector, but one that seeks out philatelic connections to the commemorative pieces I enjoy collecting.

Case in point, a few years back I was at a coin and stamp show and noticed this Lewis and Clark Exposition stamp sheet on a dealer's table. I thought it would partner well with the Lewis and Clark Exposition commemorative gold $1 coins and official medals that were struck by the US Mint, especially as there weren't any official US postage stamps issued for the Exposition. I like how each stamp is like a mini-postcard.

The Exposition was held from June 1 to October 15, 1905 to mark the centennial of Lewis and Clark's epic expedition across the newly acquired Louisiana Territory. Nearly 1.6 million folks paid to attend the Expo.

Here's a bronze example of the official commemorative medal from the Exposition.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2062 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   04:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, both the medal and the cinderellas. Congratulations. I'm a cinderella and stamp collector, but I've many medals from philatelic exhibitions where I've been through the years, mainly from my city (Barcelona). Most of them, have connections with special postmarks.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Cursus - 02/15/2020 04:11 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
948 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We used to live in Portland and I spent some time tracking down the few remaining buildings from the Expo. All have been moved to new locations. The Forestry Building, shown on your souvenir sheet, survived until 1964, when it burned to the ground.

http://www.offbeatoregon.com/1206c-...-burned.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05