Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us Newspaper Stamp Scott # Pr105 Authenticity Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Germany
129 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add LordInVader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All Stamp Masters,
Can you tell me from this scan whether this 10c PR105 is authentic?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4194 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it watermarked or not?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Germany
129 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I can tell it is not watermarked.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If there is no watermark, then it is the correct design for Scott PR105 and should be a Scott PR 105. The watermarks on the black stamps of that series are usually easy to see. The problem is with the watermarks on some of the other colors, especially some of the dollar value stamps, which can be difficult to see because of the transparency of the color.
Edited by wtcrowe - 02/15/2020 10:07 am
Valued Member
Germany
129 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is $12 a good price for this one?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4194 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it is a watermarked PR117 the Scott catalog value is $13 for a VF example. You be the judge.
Valued Member
Germany
129 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What if it is NOT watermarked?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4194 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it is NOT watermarked it is a PR 105 and has a Scott catalog value of $600 hinged and $1300 mint never hinged. If somebody is selling it for $15 I am going to guess that it is PR117. No?
Valued Member
Germany
129 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   03:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I took the risk and bid it up to $12, and won.
The Seller does not know much about stamps, he just puts them on eBay.
The title of this auction read: "Beautiful old postage stamp from the USA".
Thats it. No scott number, no description of any kind.

It is mint, never hinged and seems to have original gum.
Ill try to get a scan of the backside today if my scanner decides to work again.
Valued Member
Germany
129 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey,
here is the scan of the backside.
I think you can see some of the Craquelure of the Gum.

As far as I can tell I see no Watermark.

What are your opinions on this?

Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4194 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It needs to be dipped when you have it in hand. Other than that I note a tear at the top. It could be regummed but the scan is not good enough to tell, at least for me.
Valued Member
Germany
129 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is in fact not a tear. Maybe a repaired tear, but the front shows no sign of tearing at all.

Can you provide a reference on what the Watermark is supposed to look like?

Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4194 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp was scanned upside down. The tear is at the bottom of the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1092 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look between the N & T of CENTS. Or perhaps directly below the T.
Edited by JLLebbert - 02/18/2020 10:07 pm
Valued Member
Germany
129 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know that it was scanned upside down.
The front reveals no tear, it is only on the back.
I assume it is a repaired tear.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
871 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably repaired tear, but that may make it more likely to be an expensive stamp not watermarked... Glass half full optimism with hope that someone willing to repair tear did it because it's otherwise rare stamp. But unfortunately 12$ stamps are often repaired as well for practice etc.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05