Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

India Native States Forgeries?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
125 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   02:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jol34 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I suspect these are forgeries...Looks like Kishangar, Jammu, and maybe Bundi. Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

Thanks, in advance.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
132 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, modern poor-quality forgeries sadly.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
3 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add socotroco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Jol34 I am glad you posted about those possible forgeries. I have a plethora of them in my father's collection from when he was a teenager and now he is 72 yrs old but I haven't been able to identify them properly. Does anybody else knows anything on these?

Thanks

Valued Member
United Kingdom
132 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are from the same source as jol34's stamps.

They appeared in the late 1960s or early 1970s and allegedly came from the Indian city of Allahabad. They were supposedly produced as imitations and not intended to deceive, but found their way as spacefillers into many collections worldwide. They remain extremely common and are virtually worthless.

The following is taken from a posting elsewhere by Tony MacGillycuddy (tonymacg on here):

- The nature of the printing: The forgeries tend to have a very lifeless look. If the genuine stamp was typeset or handstamped, the stamp should look typeset or handstamped.

If typeset, there will probably be indentations around the image; if handstamped, there will almost certainly be irregularities in the image - lighter and darker, and imperfectly printed parts. If the printed image is flat and uniform, be very wary.

- The paper: The forger has used rather cheap quality brownish-white wove for any stamps that were originally on 'white' papers. The coloured papers used by the forger usually bear no resemblance at all to the real thing: the colours are usually far too garish, while the originals tend to be on rather more subtly coloured papers.

- Spacing of the impressions: The impressions of the forgeries are usually widely spaced on the sheets, while the genuine stamps were usually (frugally) spaced close together. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, but taken in conjunction with the other indicators, you should be able to pick the forgeries with confidence.

- 'Irrationality': Some of the forgeries are simply obviously wrong: wrong colour, wrong paper or howling rarities that are just not going to turn up on eBay at a starting bid of 99 cents.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have hundreds of them (Forgeries)

United States
3 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add socotroco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Peterh for the quick response on my post from last week. Also thanks Jol34 and Rod222 for initiating and adding more details to the subject.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05