Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Couple Of Interesting Civil War Cdvs (Carte DE Visite)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4725 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's been a while since I posted anything new. I haven't had much time for stamp collecting activities lately, and what little I've had hasn't been spent on U.S. material (shocking!).

Here are three CDVs from the 2-year taxation period (August 1, 1864 through July 31, 1866) that I found interesting for different reasons.

First is a CDV that I purchased for the subject matter rather than the stamp or cancel, although the 2-cent orange Proprietary is a better stamp. I've always found non-portrait CDVs to be fascinating, whether they were artwork productions, political cartoons of the era, photos of objects, etc.

This CDV depicts a famous painting, Robert Walter Weir's "The Embarkation of the Pilgrims", painted in 1857, which currently hangs in the United States Capitol rotunda.

Next is one that finally attributes a fancy cancel that I've been wanting to identify for several years, photographer Francis Forshew of Hudson, New York.

And lastly, one that I wish was in a bit better condition, with a military subject, that showcases a large-format shield cancel, from J. Norris Greene, a photographer in Geneseo, Illinois.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And lastly, one that I wish was in a bit better condition, with a military subject, that showcases a large-format shield cancel, from J. Norris Greene, a photographer in Geneseo, Illinois.

Sydney (sic) should be Sidney ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_S._Robinson
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 02/16/2020 3:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1062 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
REVENUECOLLECTOR --Thanks for posting!

Hal
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Capt. Sidney T. Robinson mustered into the 14th Illinois Cavalry Regiment (Company L) as a Private on Jan. 7, 1863. He was transferred to the 5th U.S. Colored Cavalry Regiment on Dec. 14, 1864 as a First Lieutenant. He left the regiment as a Captain.
https://civilwar.illinoisgenweb.org...cav_014.html
http://5thuscc.net/
I couldn't find a connection between the 6th Kentucky Regiment and Robinson.

Robert
Edited by Trainwreck - 02/17/2020 3:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
831 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Next is one that finally attributes a fancy cancel that I've been wanting to identify for several years...

Being able to identify a long-unknown cancel is a great joy.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05