Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proposed Change To The Duck Stamp Program

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
598 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
779 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
docgfd

Stamp of 1959 had a hunting dog. Of the remainder in my collection I couldn't find another that complied with this section:

(b) Mandatory waterfowl hunting components. In addition to the restrictions set forth in paragraph (a) of this section, designs will also be required to include appropriate waterfowl hunting-related accessories or elements celebrating the Federal Duck Stamp's long-standing connection as part of our Nation's waterfowl hunting heritage and the contributions to conservation made by waterfowl hunters. Designs may include, but are not limited to, hunting dogs, hunting scenes, hunting equipment, waterfowl decoys, managed waterfowl areas as the background of habitat scenes, or other designs that represent our waterfowl hunting heritage. The design chosen will clearly meet the theme of "celebrating our waterfowl hunting heritage."

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
598 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   6:31 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, that Lab was named 'King Buck' and the 1959 is one of my favorites.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4214 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope that they incorporate firearms into some of the designs since it is kinda how you hunt the buggers.
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a political motivation for this proposal? My gut says, yes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1187 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is something which is already being done, beginning last year.

The 2019 stamp shows both the duck and a decoy. Here's the stamp, RW86.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
598 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   10:40 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the RW86, the Wood Duck drake is still the main element. If I'm interpreting the proposal correctly, the changes would allow non-duck elements to become the main subject (such as a blind or sneak boat) with, for example, a flight of quackers in the background.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1096 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the changes would allow non-duck elements to become the main subject

Which is the point at which I end my collection.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
598 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   01:15 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So a scene created, for example, by waterfowl artist Terry Redlin like this one (I picked this one as I own a copy) would stop your collecting duck stamps? Even with the mallards in the scene? Obviously your choice, but a stamp like this would excite me...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4214 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doc - That is an absolutely stunning piece. Thanks for posting!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4701 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   07:55 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are those genetically modified mallards? Bigger than any I've ever eaten ...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4214 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Texas Mallards
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Correct me if wrong but I see no reference being made in this proposal to a change where waterfowl species (birds in flight, swimming, walking, etc) might in future be in the background and hunting heritage components (decoys, firearms, blinds, dogs, etc) dominating in the foreground. The change states that hunting heritage components MUST be a part of future entries rather than only waterfowl species. The change is simply making the temporary change made in 2018 now a permant change/addition to incorporate waterfowling heritage elements (but keeping waterfowl species the dominant element).

Removing Language Specific to 2018 Contest and Instituting a Permanent Theme and Mandatory Hunting Element Requirement
Currently, #8201;91.14 explains that a live portrayal of any bird(s) of the five or fewer identified eligible waterfowl species must be the dominant feature of the design, but that the design may depict other appropriate elements, such as hunting dogs, as long as an eligible waterfowl species is in the foreground and clearly the focus of attention. In the March 21, 2018, final rule, we added #8201;91.14(b) with additional requirements specified for the 2018 Contest only. In this proposed rule, we propose to make it a permanent requirement that Contest entries must include one or more elements that reflect the theme "celebrating our waterfowl hunting heritage."
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A similar stamp program began in Canada in 1985 with funds raised supporting programs that conserve habitat for migratory gamebirds including waterfowl. These habitats of course also support a diversity of other species and contribute broadly to a healthy environment and economy. To date $150M Can has been raised and attracted additional matching dollars. In Canada the stamps depict only migratory gamebird species and habitat and do not include waterfowling heritage components. Although most of the stamps are purchased by hunters as part of their federal hunting licenses, nonhunters including birdwatchers, stamp collectors, etc also purchase them annually.
https://whc.org/the-stamp/

The number of waterfowl hunters in Canada and the US continues to decline each year as traditions change and our societies become older and more urbanized. Therefore the funding available to conserve wetland and upland habitats has also declined. To help offset this decline governments and NGO's have developed more programs to retain the number of existing hunters and recruruit non traditional demographics (youth, women, new immigrants, etc) to hunting. I assume the proposed changes by the USFWS to the duck stamp criteria are to give hunting a higher and more positive profile.
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Terry Redlin is an amazing artist and reproductions of his paintings have raised $40-$50 M for habitat conservation through Ducks Unlimited and other organizations.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/...ist-artist-/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
598 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My inference to "celebrating our waterfowl hunting heritage" includes any and all things waterfowl hunting, which would include calls, dogs, blinds, etc. I guess I glossed over where ducks would still need to be the main component (and I certainly have no issue with that).

Yes, Redlin is incredible and I would still love to see some of his work used on the stamps; or Killian and a host of others). The light and tones he uses are amazing. I bought my print at a DU dinner over 30-years ago at the Southern Westchester, NY chapter event (where one year I served as Chairman and served on the committee for several years.).
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05