Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps Depicted On Tv

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Zealand
4 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add westham60 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Last week in the first episode of the new series of Endeavour (young Inspector Morse) there was a postcard sent from Venice (by Morse) which had an Italian stamp on it, but one which never existed (see screen grab). This is not the first time I've seen this, and wondered if anyone knew why the producers should take the trouble to create a new stamp design, when there would be plenty of mint Italian (in this case) stamps of the era that would serve the purpose. Surely it can't be illegal to portray a postage stamp on TV.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
4683 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this also. I'm a fan of Endeavour.

This is s topic we discuss regularly on SCF:

http://goscf.com/t/57801

http://goscf.com/t/458

KirkS

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1249 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Season 13 Episode 6 of Murdoch Mysteries ("The Philately Fatality) had a plot heavily devoted to the hobby. The stamps depicted therein were obviously not the genuine articles, but the images portrayed were refreshingly accurate.
New Zealand
4 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   04:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add westham60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'd seen both these threads, and I guess the stamps on TV one is perhaps where I should have posted my question. However, they refer to movies and TV shows where valuable stamps are a basic element in the plot, whereas the postcard was of no significance (unless that changes in the third episode) and still doesn't explain why a real Italian stamp (eg a 55 L Syracuse coin released in the year that the show was set) wasn't used.
Valued Member
Ireland
216 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   05:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reference to "Endeavour" is interesting. Although I dont watch it, it was trending on Twitter on Sunday night, seemingly because a character used the very 21st century phrase "confused dot com" which if correct is a very bad oversight.
I was actually in a Dublin stamp shop about 30 years ago when a "props" person from a movie came in to buy a single stamp which would be appropriate for a date in the 1950s. Apparently this is not unusual.
About five years ago, a similar experience in London. A theatre or opera production needed a French "bond certificate" or "currency" whatever from the early 1800s and needed something printed in colour. The assistant checked with the owner who asked the customer if it was for a legitimate production. Apparently its not possible to print reproductions unless under licence. Perhaps some other member of SCF can verify this.
I did briefly know a "props" person in the 1970s and she said hobbyists, especially coin collectors and railway enthusiasts were a nightmare as they are always nitpicking.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05