Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Railway Post Offices And Their Railroad Lines

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DonSellos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm trying to find information identifying the railroads specific Railway Post Offices were on. Can anyone provide printed and/or online resources that might include this information?

Example: What railroad was Cedar Rapids & Estherville RPO on?

Thanks.

Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6710 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this a trick question Don ?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
779 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don

Interesting postcard found online https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...erville-iowa

I believe the schedule found on this link might answer your question

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...ts-111129399
Edited by gettinold - 02/17/2020 10:05 am
Learn More...
7850 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   10:21 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mobile Post office Society - https://www.eskimo.com/~rkunz/mposhome.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Gettinold and Don. Both answers very helpful. They clearly placed the example cited on the Chicago, Rock Island, & Pacific Railroad.

Joining the Mobile Post Office Society looks worth the money.

Don

Pillar Of The Community
2551 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or to phrase the question differently and rhetorically: "What is the merger/consolidation history of a certain RPO line?" RPO answers often change over time.

I have found this reprint useful: "Handy Railroad Atlas of the United States, 1948" reprinted by Trains Magazine/Kalmbach Publishing Co. I don't know if it is still in print.

Yes, both it and a 1920 atlas I own list the line as the CRI&P - Chicago Rock Island & Pacific.
Learn More...
7850 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   2:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion the study of RPOs has a scope as large as precancels (i.e. a lifetime of study and a library of reference books). Don (the OP) has started in the best fashion, start with a single RPO and dig in from there.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, John Becker, for the citation for Handy Railroad Atlas of the United States. I will find a copy.

By way of explanation, I am beginning to acquire covers with cancels for RPOs that began, ended, or began and ended in my home state of Iowa. I also hope to find the years of their operation and on what railroad lines they ran.

My interest stems from an uncle who was a railway mail clerk for many years and my own experience as a substitute railway mail clerk. I was hired as a substitute clerk for the PTS, the successor to the RMS. I worked mostly in the Council Bluffs and Omaha Burlington Station terminals, but made several trips on RPOs out of Chicago and Omaha from 1959 and the early 1960s. I transferred into the Omaha Post Office in late 1962.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
638 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don -

Seriously, you ought to consider writing about your RPO experiences. APS may be willing to provide assistance. It would be a great article for the APS magazine, and maybe more.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, oldguy, but I'm not much of a writer and that experience was over 60 years ago and the details have dimmed considerably.

I attended the APS show in Omaha last summer and I did revisit the places I worked as a PTS clerk. The Union Station has been beautifully preserved and is now a museum. Burlington Station is still much the same on the outside, but there are commercial offices in it now and the Burlington Station Terminal across the street to the west is now offices and condos. I couldn't remember what street the Council Bluffs Terminal was on and I didn't find it.

Don
Edited by DonSellos - 02/18/2020 08:23 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05