Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott Specialty Binders

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1885 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   12:58 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone else notice these are increasingly hard to find? Amos shows them as back ordered for weeks at a time. On eBay nearly all are listed above full retail, some as high as sixty bucks, just for the binder, no slipcase. I was looking on IHobb this morning, they will sell you a set with slipcase, but not just the binder. Insane prices for all Scott accessories on eBay, labels for binders at $9.95.

Wonder if Amos is having issues with their supplier for these binders.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
722 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As for the Scott binder labels, be aware that Scott (aka Amos Advantage(dot)com) sells them for about $3 each on their website, not $10 which some guy on eBay is trying to get for them -- from the unwary. Quite a markup!

For the Scott Speciality albums, the green ones, Scott has tried to shift its customers over to its two 3-ring binders which they adopted a few years ago while also continuing to sell one (1) 2-post binder in the older format. When they did this, they dropped their other sizes in the 2-post format. They used to sell 1.5", 2", 3", etc. size 2-post binders and slipcases.

I'm not at all a fan of the larger 3-ring binder which seems enormous and clunky to me like something better used for factory work orders. The smaller 3-ring binder is pretty nice, though, even if it is vert wide on the bookshelf.

Even their blue International binders no longer come in various thicknesses, including 2.5" and 3". Now they sell only a "regular" 3 3/4" binder (often called a 4") and a much larger 4.5-5" binder. I'm not sure it's actual size. Why anyone would buy a binder that large, I don't know, since it's almost physically impossible to pick up an album that size filled with pages -- at least with one hand. Since they both sell for the same price, I suppose collectors see the two sizes being sold at the same price and buy the bigger one because it holds more pages. To me, that's not thinking it through very well.

All the Specialty album pages Scott sells are punched to fit both their 3-ring and the 2-post formats, thank goodness. So you make your choice of binder knowing your pages will fit either one -- except for older Specialty pages before the adoption of the 3-ring format which will be punched only for two posts.

As for price, yes they are getting expensive, and eBay sellers regularly jack prices up. Only occasionally do I see bargains on eBay for most stamp supplies (binders, pages, dustcases, etc). Buying from Amos Advantage, Subway Stamp Shop, iHobb, Potomac Supplies, or another major seller makes more sense to me.

Amos/Scott is habitually back ordered on most of their own products, including pages. Often you have to wait many weeks to get items. They have a somewhat clunky "print on demand" system they operate for album pages, probably to deal with the problem of storing products. It doesn't work very efficiently and I'm not sure why they do it this way. For binders, their supplier must run out at times, but you'd think Scott/Amos would keep some inventory on hand. Apparently not, though.

What I really wish Scott/Amos would do is sell more sizes of binders. I still prefer the 2-post binder since I don't like 3-ring binders much. But I prefer the 2.5" and 3" sizes Scott no longer sells. Fortunately, I own enough already to get by. I just do not like the large 2-post binder they now sell. It's too big, too heavy, and unwieldy to deal with.

I also wish they'd sell smaller International binders. I own a set of 2.5" thick International binders that were once sold by Subway Stamp Shop (Scott also once sold this size), and believe me they are the best thing that ever happened to the International album! They hold fewer pages, of course, so you do need a few more -- BUT handling them, taking them off the shelf, and so on, is much much easier. I've never dropped one. With the larger size International binder, people do drop them, and they're like a load of bricks hitting the floor. Sometimes smaller is just a whole lot better.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by DrewM - 02/17/2020 4:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1249 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps1962, I see the large (3", I assume) Scott Specialty 2-post Binder for sale at iHobb without slipcase for $46.99
Pillar Of The Community
722 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure how they measure the width of that binder, but I always get closer to 3 1/2" inches "hinge to hinge" when I measure that 250 page 2-post binder. It's more than 3" in any case.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just received an order from Amos Advantage last week for the 2 post binder and slipcase. About $65 if I recall correctly. Also ordered 10 packs of their blank specialty pages, and some labels - all in stock and fulfilled rather quickly. I ordered, separately, 2 sets of 155mm spade tongs and these are on back order.

I do find their website clunky, and really slow. Searching things like labels is painful. I do wish they still had the smaller 2 post specialty binders. I really prefer those.
Edited by mestephil - 02/19/2020 7:32 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05