Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Soft Paper Thickness For 1c Official Specimen Stamp?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2383 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
which show differences in fonts. And I would like to know how you are putting your "specimen" crops into one image like that.

I have individual 1200 dpi scans of the five O57Xs, I just cropped them in paint and saved the crops in a new file.

The overprint on hard and ribbed paper is 11 1/8 mm long, On the soft paper State the op is 11 3/8 mm long due to the different fonts used.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by littleriverphil - 02/26/2020 11:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1329 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   09:42 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Photoshop or Photoshop Elements can be used to measure, compare or overlay images with metadata, preferably from the same scanner in the same orientation. Steel rulers have their place, but not for making small measurements or comparing subtle differences in the sizes of images or overprints. A program like VueScan may be required to manage the scanner.
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Burnside Bob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to play with combining images in Paint.

I use Vuescan and it was with Vuescan that I measured the crop size and over print size in pixels. Divide by 2400 to convert pixels to inches. So the 1200 x 300 pixel scans of the over prints are 0.500 x 0.125 inches.

I have tried photographing the ribbed appearing paper of some stamps with limited success. Part of the problem is I don't have a point light source to shine obliquely on the stamp--plus taking a photo with a camera not square to the stamp, producing a perspective error.

More later. Thanks for the feedback.

Burnside.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2383 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I put an O57S and an O57xS together on a card, scanned them at 1200 dpi and opened the result in paint. Cropped a horizontal section of the hard paper and pasted it onto the soft paper image. It shows the hard paper slightly wider than the soft paper.
Also cropped a vertical section and pasted that onto the soft paper image, which shows the soft paper to be taller.

Edited by littleriverphil - 02/26/2020 12:57 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05