Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is This Fancy Cancel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
701 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Laurie 02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all.
I have some great cancels I'd like to share with you all, however I have no idea about them, I'd love a bit of assistance with identifying them.
Here we go!

And

Cheers
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
701 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   01:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2 more....

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
7874 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   02:12 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First one is a 'Wheel of Fortune' which was commercially produced and used by a number of post offices.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
701 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   02:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's pretty cool thanks Don
Pillar Of The Community
687 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Rochester (NY) Philatelic Society has a FREE download of a publication about Wheels of Fortune. Anybody have any WOFs from New York or Vermont? I'm always looking for examples.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
835 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A slight bit off topic- but this "wheel of fortune" reminds me of the Confrderation bridge linking New Brunswick to Prince Edward Island in Canada, just straightened out a bit. Uncanny resemblance. Proof that the more things change the more they stay the same.

The third one reminds one a bit of the French cross of Lorraine. Interesting. Laurie, the fourth one reminds one of the Sydney opera house in Australia.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
701 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone told me the fifth cancel is a K.K.K. cancel?
I've never heard of such a thing!
Would it be unusual? If it is....
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wannahocalugie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The fourth stamp I agree with No1, at first glance the first thing to pop was Sydney. Ha, I love it. Okay, here is my take - partial leaf fancy, but for the life of me short of a favor from a friend, I can't fathom the partial. Here is a great example taken from Stamp Auction Network Michael Rogers Online, a Division of Daniel F. Kelleher Auctions

Second one looks like a crude negative cross. All in all wonderful cancels.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1249 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the fourth example looks rather like a (partial) type of pinwheel or circle of V's (Alexander & Simpson Type L-14).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
803 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently came across this stamp with a similar look. (Scott 69)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4023 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
http://www.rpastamps.org/wof.html ... Wheel of Fortune Cancellations book, checklist, more
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05