Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited Canadian Collection

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Onthefly to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I've recently inherited a pretty extensive Canadian stamp collection. Unfortunately I don't plan on keeping it as I also inherited a coin collection and plan on keeping those instead. Please have a look and let me know you think. I've take pictures and uploaded what I thought was the rarer part of the collection.

If I ultimately end up selling the stamps I was thinking of bringing it to a local auction house. Is there anything I should be aware of when dealing with these establishments. I don't really have any experience with stamps and the collection is a bit overwhelming.

J

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onthefly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
7872 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   2:06 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be a quality collection, worth investing time and effort in the disposition. I am moving this over to the Canadian section for better chance of 'Canadian' feedback.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onthefly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, much appreciated Don
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff! I like getting that kind of inheritance.
Pillar Of The Community
6863 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
impressive collection Onthefly

You may want to contact BNAPS at...
http://www.bnaps.org/index.php

Go to study groups and down to...
"Large and Small Queens" and send a email to Victor
He may get you started on where to go from here.

Robert

Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onthefly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Robert I'll be sure to check out that link.

Dave, the stamps are awesome, a bit overwhelming but awesome
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
835 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Onthefly, any idea what the yellow and blue color dots represent? Mint hinged, never hinged or no gum, thin or damaged? From the photos it appears the issues are reasonablly centered with a few a little less so. But overall quality is fine. This is the type of collection I would buy as a lot as I need several of the issues prior to the bluenose issue. After the 1947 issue most of the material is fairly common.
Do you want to do all the work and sell the stuff or sell it as a lot? Check things out with dealers as for selling commissions and their fees as they are all different. Some may want to sell as one lot, while others may want to break it down. As well you may be better off selling privately, you just have to do your homework. Take a look at auctions selling lots on stampauctionnetwork.com for similar lots. Their are so many variables. Time/ maybe sales trouble using online sites, sales by auction house-commission/ or cash at once for the lot. Remember catalogue value is just that. It is not the actual value you will receive for the collection. It will be only a percentage of it.
I do have somewhat of a coin/ paper money collection I am going to sell or trade myself. Too bad your in Ontario, as I am in N.S.
Now only if there was a way I could teleport?

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 02/18/2020 4:57 pm
Learn More...
7872 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   5:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to be clear and avoiding push back if someone gets axed from this community; no selling or buying less both parties have 50+ posts.
Don
Valued Member
357 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have a mint Canada collection of substantial value. It needs an appraisal.

Public auction is one of many options available to you when selling. A reputable stamp auction firm will explain these options, and what their service offers, better than my post on a chat board.
Valued Member
Canada
464 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some names of Canadian stamp auction firms to get you started in case you're unfamiliar with them - Sparks, R Maresch, Eastern, Vance. All have websites with contact info and frequently sell this kind of material. Which looks to be very nice quality, BTW!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4221 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My initial thoughts are that centering appears to be an issue in general. I would guess that this collection would be offered as intact. The hingelesss album will add some value and attract interest. Other than that it is both unwise and unfair to make any further generalizations as to value without seeing the material first hand. It would pay to contact auction houses in Canada such as Sparks in order to get a feel for what you really have. They will want to examine the material if they are interested. Best of luck to you!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1885 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   5:15 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking of bringing it to a local auction house. Is there anything I should be aware of when dealing with these?'

I assume you mean a stamp auction company. Not being snarky but sometimes it happens that a very valuable collection gets turned over to a firm that just breaks down stuff for estate sales. You probably need to be sure the dealer is a member of a reputable philatelic group. In your case, the RPSC or the APS. The prior owner used a hingeless album and that suggests he,she knew their stuff and suggests these might be quality stamps. Good luck.
Edited by Stamps1962 - 02/18/2020 5:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
6863 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or get a Unitrade Canadian Catalouge..

http://www.unitradeassoc.com/Nowavailable.htm

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onthefly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for taking a look and offering advice. I called one of the local stamp auctioneers in my area, Maresch. I'll be dropping by there in the next few weeks to see what they have to say. I'll also try and have Vance take a look. Sparks may be a bit far for me but I'll definitely give them a call to see what they have to say.

I have a worksheet outlining condition and value of the stamps in the collection. Through some research I've found that catalogue and actual value aren't the same, but I do have a rough idea of what the individual value would be for each.

Any other insight into the stamps would be appreciated

Thanks again for taking a look and I'm glad I could share this collection with the community knowing how much work went into this collection.
Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onthefly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And yes great observation, the stamps are currently in a hingeless Davo album.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05