Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited Canadian Collection

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful Album and stamps. Good luck :)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onthefly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mrita75!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3364 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

Just a thought. Don't jump at the first offer from anyone. Do some research to determine what you have, or at least get 2-3 offers. As was stated earlier, no one is allowed to sell or offer to buy a collection with less than 50 posts. If you show more items, and offer comments, you can quickly get to 50 posts, then think about offering some of the items for sale on this forum.

You may also want to consider just keeping them for the next generation? Who knows?
Valued Member
114 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fantail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maresch is your best bet here in the Toronto area. They will examine and breakdown the collection to get the best value. The stamps will be examined, and any re-entries, or special paper types will be noted, on the Small and Large Queens, along with the early pence and cents issues. They will NOT OFFER TO BUY the collection. They are only interested in making as much money for you. Vance will try to buy the collection at the lowest possible price. He owns and sells all his own material. So basically his auctions are price lists, that people bid up. Sparks in Ottawa, would be just like Maresch. All the Maresch Auctions, are unreserved, so they don't have a financial interest in any of the material they sell.
Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onthefly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime thanks for the advice, there are a lot of stamps outside of the collection I posted which I will probably end up listing on here once I reach the 50 post threshold. I will end up keeping some for my kids to start their own collection for sure, I have 3 little ones that I think would love collecting them.

Thanks fantail for the explanation of the different businesses, I'll keep that in mind going forward.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
569 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that Maresch is a much better option than Vance. Don't even go there.

There is potential for some varieties that add value.

The mint Jubilees to $5 are very valuable. Even more-so if unhinged.

Lot's of great early material.
United States
4 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add msj1951 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curiously, I've added some colored dots to my collections. In my case they represent the items with high catalog values, for the benefit of the Executor of my Estate. I've included a key to decode the colors.
Valued Member
177 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful stuff! That Jubilee set, comlete up to $5, is every Canadian collector's dream. I would think, from the 10c and up, each stamp would be individually auctioned off. Not many people buy a set like that intact. Takes years to put together.
Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onthefly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the insight canyoneer, I'm not sure how long it took but he put a lot of time into this and other collections.
Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onthefly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
msj1951, the coloured dots refer to condition. Values were put in an excel doc.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1277 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an outstanding collection. The way I assess this is by considering which ones are not there...this is a good indication of the level of effort , $ and time put in by the person who assembled it. From what I see, it is only missing a few basics like # 2, 3,5,10(?),13, 16,31,32,33 in the early ones. In a nutshell, only a serious collector will be able to assemble such a nice collection.
I would consider selling the pence and 1st cents individually via Auction, as well as the large queens and Jubilees. The rest could be offered as complete sets, with emphasis on those of exceptional quality (MNH ones). Good luck and thanks for posting
Edited by Gilles le timbre - 02/22/2020 11:07 am
Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onthefly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Gilles for taking the time to look and offer your feedback. I'll be bringing the collection to an auction to see what they have to say. I would like to learn and sell them myself however I'm not sure how willing someone would be to buying these stamps from an unknown seller.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05