Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A 267c Auction Sale And The Ambiguity Of Certificates Dependent Upon Color/Shade For ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4194 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was perusing today's Kelleher auction results and came upon this 267c (Lot 379) with a 2017 PSAG certificate that was sold for $5400 with BP:

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/V/V73319.cfm

The stamps value is based upon its color and it got me to researching.

I did a PF search and found that only three examples have been submitted to the PF and all three received negative certificates stating that the stamps are actually 267's.

This one piqued my interest (picture from certificate database):

http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/pf_grd...lledfrom=lkp

I decided to search Siegel's Power Search to see if they have sold any 267c's and low and behold I find the stamp from the PF database was sold twice by Siegel in the past, once in 2011 for $3900 and once in 2013 for $3900. The stamp had a 2008 PSE certificate (Graded 80) for both sales.

https://siegelauctions.com/lot_grd....nwwin=q5x74m

Now I am not casting aspersions upon any of the folks involved in certifying and selling these stamps but it raises serious issues once again about colors and shades in philately and the dangers of throwing money at same.

I wonder what the odds are that the Kelleher stamp would get a PF cert?
Send note to Staff
Edited by rogdcam - 02/18/2020 6:37 pm

Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As has been discussed here before it is difficult to make color judgements based on a scan. However, based on the scans on the PF website I would say that only one of those three stamps has a good chance of being a Scott 267c. The most recent one, PF 562733, is probably not, just a nice example (shade wise) of a Scott 267. The middle one, PFC 538757, is definitely not, and the oldest one, PFC 472843, looks like it could possibly be in the family. Without seeing in person it is difficult to say yes or no. It would be interesting to know what the Scott listing is based on and could it be the result of a misidentification of a Scott 279Bc? The approximate EKU for both Scott 267c and 279Bc is March 1899. Perhaps print records would show whether the Type III plates were still being used in March 1899.

The Kelleher stamp has PFC 472843 as a Scott 267
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by wtcrowe - 02/19/2020 09:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1895 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to the Siegel sale, the Scott listing came about in 1999.

I wonder if there are some philatelic journal articles from around that time, explaining this, or, possibly in the Scott catalog itself?
Pillar Of The Community
1375 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The images in this thread don't look like the correct color, but as mentioned this is perhaps a color management problem.

As far as I know the rose carmine should not show the bright orange under UV light like many other 2c colors, and there should not be the pink back as with the pink colors.
Pillar Of The Community
2549 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if there are some philatelic journal articles from around that time, explaining this, or, possibly in the Scott catalog itself?

I would follow this note in Scott prior to #248. The serialized article is extensive.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4194 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The Kelleher stamp has PFC 472843 as a Scott 267"

But it was just sold as a 267c.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6402 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Kelleher stamp that was sold is the plate single; the part imprint single is the one with the PFC stating it's a 267.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2233 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   12:58 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a variation on the the theme of "buy fine and sell very fine"
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bid on that one after my last "267c" did not get a favorable PF cert. I think this is one color variety I will skip.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05