Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Here's Something You Don't Often See!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1194 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a massive collection from Kelleher, it has 25 Scott Volumes with an amazing 10 albums for Part 1, 3 for Part 2 and 3 more for Part 3, 2 for Parts 4 & 5 etc. out to Part 10, all are well filled to stuffed so I figure 150-200K stamps. I traveled to Ct from Fl to see it and spent sometime looking at it and eventually won it. After I got it home and spent sometime looking at it I finally realized every single stamp in this collection is in a clear top loading Hawid mount!!

At 7c/mount (Mystic) that's $10,000 to $14,000 worth of mounts. I can't even imagine how much time went into building this collection! Wow!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
597 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   01:28 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that there's no hinge removal involved, how long do you figure it will take you to process your trophy? Congrats on winning it!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3914 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   02:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not just pics. I hope to see the movie.
Learn More...
7847 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   03:31 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Talk about not being able to recover the money you spent; it is like hot rodding a 4 door sedan instead of a 2 door coupe. Might be a nice ride for yourself but be prepared for a financial bath when you go to sell it. (meaning the original owner)
Don
Valued Member
Canada
464 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive. The previous owner must have worn out more than a couple cutters putting this together.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1194 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   08:21 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Given that there's no hinge removal involved, how long do you figure it will take you to process your trophy? Congrats on winning it!

I bought this one and another 25 Volume Scott collection in the last Kelleher sale and I plan on selling it all by the time the next Kelleher Collections auction rolls around in May.

I only collect France, Italy and Portugal and related colonies so I doubt my collection will ever exceed 10,000 stamps but all my stamps are in clear top loading Hawid mounts. I think they are excellent for preserving the stamps and make upgrading very easy. When I find a stamp in the wrong place I can move it and not leave an empty black mount. That being said I can only do about a page an hour cutting the Hawid Mounts so the owner of the big collection spent some time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4194 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive and obviously someone who truly enjoyed the process.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1895 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That gives a whole new meaning to the phrase: "mounting costs".

I also very much like clear top loading Hawid mounts. I don't however, have all that many stamps to manage, so its no big deal.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1300 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see pictures of some of the Portuguese colonies pages when you get some time.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05