Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found A Long Plate Coil In Mint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
16 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add newguy71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this nice mint coil it goes from plate number 5 to plate number 6

I never knew there were stamps out there with these on them. How scarce are these.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6709 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The strips you have there are not very scarce. Read more about these on www.pnc3.org
By the way, they are called 'plate number coils' or pnc's

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 02/20/2020 9:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add newguy71 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I get excited when I find coil stamps
Valued Member
125 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wait, different plate numbers on a contiguous strip? I didn't know that was possible. How are these printed? I figured it was some sort of rotary process such that one plate number every 25 stamps meant 25 was the number of stamps per cycle of the press. Clearly that's wrong if different plate numbers are possible on a given coil strip.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1091 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does sound as though the OP is claiming these stamps are in the same strip. Extremely unlikely since there are two different plate numbers. Perhaps the OP will chime in and either verify or clarify his original post.
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add newguy71 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
these stamps are all on the same coil.
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add newguy71 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just counted theres 30 stamps on this continuous roll
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is Scott 1897. Plates 5 and 6 were printed together. What you have is completely normal.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6709 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These coils were printed on the old Cottrell press. Two plate numbers were used for each printing, as Germania states this was completely normal
The plate numbers on Cottrell issues are 24 stamps apart. On Scott 1897 plates 1 & 2, 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 were used together

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 02/21/2020 3:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1091 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys it's surprising how much new stuff I learn on this forum!
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add newguy71 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for the information I had no clue.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2138 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   10:22 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2 different plates were wrapped around the printing cylinder with the ends butting against each other, which is where the joint lines form. Think of a u shape and a n shape against each other.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05