Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Beginners Collection Critique Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 862Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
123 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I have said before I'm very new to stamp collecting but with the kind assistance from members on this forum and studying past post I decided to begin a small collection.
First thing I did was buy the latest book.
I really like the earlier stamps so I decided to start at Scott #600 and work backwards as far as I can.
I'm not really attracted to used stamps a this point in time so I've been trying to collect MNH in F/VF condition.
I believe for the most part they're VF MNH with a few F and a few maybe XF. Opinions please?
The first picture is just to show how I'm storing them first in a unitrade flexo-grip page and then in an archival sleeve and into a leather binder.
Following are some pages working backwards from Scott #319 back to #249 for now.
I'll add some more pages in a few days.
I'm hoping I'll get some critique and suggestions before I move forward (or is it backwards) in my collecting.
Is this an acceptable way of storing them or should I get a proper stamp album?
All comments whether good or bad are welcome.

Cheers, Bill

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8174 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   3:11 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would avoid the 'archival sleeve', the black stock pages by themselves are fine. I have never seen sleeves or page protectors used in any archival library or museum. They are a double edged sword, they offer some protection from poor environmental conditions but they also highly restrict air circulation so they can also trap moisture and other pollutants.

Otherwise, I think you are off to a great start. Your decision to use these type pages to begin with will allow you to remain flexible as you add stamps and change direction.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7073 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bill

As Don says, nice start...Those sheets you use can be a bit expensive, but a good start..Maybe place singles and blocks a little closer to save more money.

There are a few stamps I see you have collected that MAY be re-entries, which is worth a little more money...Check your stamps for possible re-entries at Ralph's web page..https://www.re-entries.com/index.html..BTW, please don't send Ralph any email for maybe a month..He is going through medical family problems..thanks

A very useful tool is to purchase a 2020 Specialized Canada Stamp Catalouge to help you with Canada stamps at the link below...
http://www.unitradeassoc.com/Nowavailable.htm

Any more questions, post away Bill and enjoy.

Robert

Valued Member
Canada
499 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice start! As someone who also likes to collect Canada MNH (unless too pricey) I thoroughly approve of your approach :). No need to purchase an album if you like how they look in those pages. No option is wrong - stock pages, album, make your own pages, etc, so long as they are properly stored.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
545 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great!!!! Yes, if economy is at all a factor, there is no reason you couldn't tighten up the display a bit and save a few pages. Most of my mint Canada is with the Confederation of 1927 and later, though I have some lower values of earlier sets. Cannot afford mint so that's when my used kicks in.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It all comes down to personal preference in using Varios or standard albums. Even if going to using only one side of a page, cost between the Varios vs. pre-printed albums may not be all that different for the time period you want to collect. You seem to like blocks, so you might consider plate number blocks as done with the QEII Cameos. Good on you for finding and obtaining very-well-centered coils and coil pairs. Carry on.
Edited by hy-brasil - 02/22/2020 6:12 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
407 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you are off to a good start. I may have grouped them slightly differently to save some space.

I would have also added some form of identification - Unitrade number for example or issue date etc.

If I was buying these I would always look for very well centered copies especially the coils they look so much nicer.

While I totally understand you pre 600 no commemorative decision I personally like the Mammal definitives and the Artifacts as well. You do not have to get sidetracked with the perforation varieties. If I lived in Canada I would also be very tempted with the current high value definitives - super stamps I think but I would only collect singles and avoid all the multi stamp blocks and pre-press sheets etc aimed at collectors

However it is your collection so that is all up to you. Good hunting.

AQ
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2783 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The black pages are a good flexible way to collect. It does not lock you in. You can rearrange at any time without an added expense. Do not be too quick to go to an album route due pressure thinking that it is the way it needs to be done

Some put labels on their pages. Here is the link.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/learnin...rioHome.html

Al
Edited by angore - 02/23/2020 06:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
7073 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore...The link to me at least does not work.

Robert
Learn More...
8174 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   09:33 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Link is ok, stampsmarter webhosting has been down for the last 20 minutes.
Don

Edit: Stampsmarter.com back up
Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! very helpful comments by everyone and greatly appreciated.
I put them in the sleeves to help protect the flexo-grip sheet from getting marked up and any stamps or portions protruding as the Scott #247 does.
I haven't looked for varieties yet but I certainly will and the book wert suggested is the book I bought.
The layout I used is the same as how they are presented in an earlier unitrade catalogue from 1993.
Anthraquinone, I've been trying to get well entered stamps that's been one of my criteria along with undisturbed original gum.
I agree that some type of identification would be really helpful and there should be ample room to include it. I will be adopting something for sure.
I never went out looking for blocks it just worked out that for some I could get the blocks just as cheap as the singles.
I wasn't sure if the blocks should be included with what is mostly singles or if I should replace them, same thing with the singles with salvage attached.
Here's three more pages that I've completed, more to come.

Thanks again everyone,
Cheers, Bill

Pillar Of The Community
7073 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, very nice stamps Bill

Question: do you have covers, blocks, sheets, etc. in that collection.??

Robert

Bill..I ask these questions above to try and understand the depth of your collection.

Please don't get me wrong, trying not to under mind the collection, but a lot of collectors can have the same collection...You do have a lot of nicely centered stamps with really good perforation, and some have value...Just saying Bill
Edited by wert - 02/23/2020 2:31 pm
Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wert, no depth to my collection I've just started collecting stamps about six months ago.
I stared at Scott #500 which grew to $600 (somehow) and I'm working backwards what I've shown here is just about it.
I do have a a couple hundred postcards and First World War letters but the stamps I ve come to learn are quite common.
Keeping the covers with the war letters there's more value then selling them separately.
I realize these are all common and easily obtained just making sure that I'm moving in the right direction.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar Of The Community
7073 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do have a a couple hundred postcards and First World War letters but the stamps I have come to learn are quite common

Bill..Post a few covers...Would be nice to see.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if these are interesting or not but here's three.
First one has an RPO cancel from Mont, S.Falls & Toronto Train No. 4 on Dec. 10, 1910.
Second one is registered mail cancelled on the first day of issue Feb. 16,1948 and on the back with a North Bay cancel.
Third cover also has an RPO cancel from Toronto & North Bay RPO Train No. 4 on first day of issue June 13, 1962. Seems this cachet was added to the paper before it was folded into an envelope.
I'm going to try and put some items together and start a separate post to show some different examples of how mail was handled and steps it went through during the WWI.

Cheers, Bill

Pillar Of The Community
7073 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bill
Check the first cover to see if you may have a re-entry Scott 89vi...?
Lot of water stains though.

Quote:
I'm going to try and put some items together and start a separate post to show some different examples of how mail was handled and steps it went through during the WWI.

Do it Bill.

Robert
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 862Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05