Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Think About This Cd With 33.000 Stamp Album Pages?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

12 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stefano6798 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello.
I would like to create some homemade albums, so I found this CD (http://www.theclassicarchives.com/m...color-2-dvds) that it said to have 33.000 album pages of more than 375 contries! It's more than I need! It seems fantastic! The price is low. Does somebody has it? Is it a fraud? Let me know what you think.

Thank You.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
464 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears that they have scanned actual Scott International pages - partially filled with stamps both new and used from the pictures on their site - and made those scans available as PDFs. Presumably one PDF per country. So they will look very odd when printed, since some of the spaces will be "filled" with those images, or varying quality, others not. This is very different than usual album pages - some of which have just the boxes, some that have smaller images of the stamps that fit within the boxes, so that they are covered up with the actual stamp you have.

Leaving aside that they are presumably violating Scott publishing copyright, I wouldn't buy such a shoddy product.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
358 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What are you intending to do with it ?. Use it as a reference of put your own stamps on the pages after you have printed them out ?

I cannot find any full size previews of the pages which means you have to guess the quality.

Personally I would not want to put my stamps over printed colour images unless they were laser printed - NOT ink jet as there is a risk of the colour bleeding.

I design and print my own pages from a word processor as I need them but I collect postal history so that is different.

It will be interesting to see what other s think

AQ
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4695 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   6:06 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's also likely to look odd in places when printed out - look at the Gibraltar page, for example - it wouldn't work as a means of mounting your stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2682 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The larger image at top is a custom 8 1/2 x 11 page but the page images below are not. I could not find a full size image to evaluate image. The Scott pages will not print full size.

Now it could be nice to have a 100% illustrated album for reference. If you want print your own, Steiner pages are a better option. The price of Steiner is insignificant compared to the cost of the paper if you plan to print out a lot of pages.
Al
Valued Member
12 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stefano6798 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your useful replies.

Yeah, maybe it was too good to be true, and there are not so many information about it...

angore
You mean that subscription to have acces to a myriad of album pages for 50$? Do you have it?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2682 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I use Steiner pages. I prefer these since you can print only what you need and also make custom pages when necessary since they are all US Letter size. I append catalog numbers to them using Adobe Acrobat Reader prior to printing.

You can download all you want or purchase a CD with all pages. The individual file sizes are very small (<100k) so takes no time.
Al
Edited by angore - 02/23/2020 08:14 am
Valued Member
224 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore --

Maybe my version is out of date, but I can't find anything in Adobe Acrobat Reader indicating how to print additional info on a page before printing. Can you direct me to the right place. Getting ready to do a new US album using Steiner pages and would like to include SCN's. Thanks in advance.
Valued Member
224 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore --

Never mind. I didn't have Acrobat Reader DC loaded on my machine. Got it and have been merrily printing modified pages all afternoon. Neat!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28783 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay Reviews.........

by lucue_68
Jan 05, 2019
A chair with 3 legs.

There are many pages that represent the stamps in color although the quality of the photos is sometimes not good. The biggest concern on this file is that there are several years missing. One of the reasons I order this file is to get the years of 87 and forward. These are the years that are missing. This also goes for the foreign stamp dates. Britain only goes to 1967 and then two pages of later years. The file does start again in 2008 through 2012 then stops and goes no further. I have many stamps in the later years that I cannot place but on blank sheets. This file did not help my cause.

Hugh gaps of stamps from some countries

Really wasn't happy with this product. When I opened it up and checked out Germany for instance, there is a ton of regular issue stamps missing from the album. For the Third Reich there is maybe a tenth of what was issued. I guess that if you're a new collector there is some good information but you'll be sorely upset when you think you completed a country only to find out that you just touched the tip of the iceberg.
Edited by rod222 - 02/24/2020 7:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3739 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have used Steiner pages for a few years and they work very well for me.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 02/28/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stefano6798, Steiner is far and away a better arrangement. Small file size and a quality job of layout to assure there is ample room for mounting material whether by hinge or split-back mount. I have used Steiner pages for at least fifteen years for my entire collection and am always pleased with the result. Don't know what the CD costs these days, but as mentioned above, over time the price of the CD will be smaller and smaller. To simplify further, copy the Steiner pdf files onto your hard drive. Great product.
Canada
4 Posts
Posted 03/15/2020   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gizmo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pages that are shown on the website appear to be taken from Dr. Changs' World Stamp Album site (though I can't say this with 100% certainty).
You can download individual pages from Dr. Changs' site in jpeg format and they print out quite well on standard North American letter size pages.
You will have to Google World Stamp Album site yourself as I do not have the required posts to include it here.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05