Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Vatican Forgery?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jmdregs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've been prowling around the web trying to ascertain if this is a real Scott #11 or a forgery. I'd appreciate any comments that anyone would care to make. I'm leaning towards fake based on the depiction of some of the lettering. However, there's always a chance that its real. Thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2522 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is some kind of reproduction imitation.The main design is correct but not in the details. Forgery if you want.The good forgeries are
a bit closer to the genuine.
___________________________________________________________________________________
There are many on e bay in all price ranges.These are very dangerous stamps to buy without
certificates.Just a fast look I found the one below ;seller asking 300 euros.It is a forgery.It is a little bit more convincing than the stamp above.Still things are wrong in the details.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by perf12 - 02/22/2020 6:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4533 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my copy with certificate .....much different than yours .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4533 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmdregs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your assistance.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader - you might check your 1 scudo again. It seems to have some characteristics of a Sperati forgery.

characteristics shown here:

https://www.sperati.org/Rome/Rome.htm

BPA's Sperati I mentions:

(i) Top left serif of the "N" of "FRANCO" is broken away
from the letter.
(ii) There is no top left serif to the "E" of "POST ALE."
(iii) The inner frame line immediately to the left of the "S"
of "SCUDO" is complete instead of being broken.

Edited by Richard Frajola - 02/24/2020 09:08 am
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To expand slightly, Sperati used genuine stamps as models for his contact photography technique. So, there are some characteristics of his reproductions that match characteristics of genuine examples. I can not see the image posted well enough to opine.

Sperati's collection of genuine models was purchased while he was still alive by American stamp dealer, Robert Lyman circa 1955.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2522 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

(i) Top left serif of the "N" of "FRANCO" is broken away
from the letter.
(ii) There is no top left serif to the "E" of "POST ALE."
(iii) The inner frame line immediately to the left of the "S"
of "SCUDO" is complete instead of being broken.

My analysis is the following:

(i) In the genuine the serif is broken away.
(ii) The top left serif is sometimes very faint in the genuine.
(iii) The frame is complete in the genuine but can be found broken in the corner also.
I will add also in floortraders stamp:
(iii) The down stroke of the 1 has that particular slight curve at the start.In the Sperati its just a down stroke.
(iiii) The upper portion of the R in (franco) is not bulged out as in the Sperati.
(iiiii) The letters and printing is neat
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05