Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Font Matches The Classic Scott Specialty Album?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

27 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BrentAbba to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I want to add some pages to my album on Scott Specialty blank pages. What font / typeface do I use to match the existing pages?

Brent

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   02:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I may join you Brent,
I was curious as to the font employed in the Scott Catalogue?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
7869 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   03:53 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2017 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the page shown, that's neither Bodoni MT or Palatino suggested in the earlier thread, not by a long shot.

There are differences in print typefaces vs. computer ones, plus there is the letter spacing on the Scott page that may only be possible with kerning/fine adjustment.

I would cut and paste each country name to a blank form, assuming you are adding to existing pages and you have originals to copy. You may need to convert to a black-and-white image. If you have something that allows image sharpening, use it. The smaller font is an altogether different one but if you're going that far, you might have to do a cut-and-paste job. That smaller one is an extended font (wider than standard) so could be equally hard to find or match.
Edited by hy-brasil - 02/23/2020 06:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2687 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have used this and other site to use an image. Some Scott pages (International) use Palatino like font.

https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont...tm_referrer=https://duckduckgo.com/
Al
Learn More...
7869 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   07:46 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is Palatino font above the original album page, not exactly the same but may be close enough for your needs.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3721 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I looked at "G" and "R" my thoughts were that "this is font you're not going to find."

Palatino looks to be a great substitute.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
231 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
De Vinne Wood seems close.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2017 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's an excellent match. Well done, jleb1979! You are one of the few here who can tell the difference in overprint typefaces.

And now that I look again at the Scott title, that's some wonky /inconsistent letterspacing there. R and I are closer together than other pairs of letters, for one. And that's why you don't use certain typefaces for titles, though kerning/changing spacing between letters can help that problem, either with metal or electronic type.
Edited by hy-brasil - 02/23/2020 5:06 pm
Learn More...
7869 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   5:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...You are one of the few here who can tell the difference in overprint typefaces...

Yes, the rest of us are brain dead morons who mistakenly thought that they might try helping others.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3721 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With metal type, letters with diagonals cause the biggest problems. Notice what the "A's" In GREAT BRITAIN do to the spacing.

For kerning/correcting, all you can do is add more space between the other letters.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/23/2020 6:02 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, the rest of us are brain dead morons who mistakenly thought that they might try helping others.

Thanks for the link Don. Appreciated.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6715 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a question. What does one do if a capital V is needed ?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
840 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The capital V exists in the font, but it just wasn't included in the sample that jleb1979 posted. You can see it here in the name of the font:

https://www.woodentypesfonts.com/Pa...devwood.html
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3721 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. The De Vinne Wood font includes an ampersand and a question mark, but no capital "V".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2017 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Studebaker51 wrote:

Quote:

You explained it was a close match; fair enough. So did bookbndfrbob. Rather than a brain dead moron, you are acting tightly wound again and taking comments personally that do not apply to you. The ability to distinguish typefaces is not common on this site at all; it's quite uncommon generally. I'm assuming jleb1979 spent some real time in finding a best match.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05