Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Modena, Schwerin And Roman States

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
71 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bigmel222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have three stamps which I have identified as Modena #10, Schwerin #2 and Roman States #2. Am I correct and if so, are they real?
Thanks
Mel
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Mecklenburg-Schwerin stamp passes the tests to exclude well-known forgeries. That is not a 100% guarantee that it is genuine.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add restoman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many of the details of the Modena stamp look correct, but it would help to see a larger image to know for sure.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add restoman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to a used copy of Modena 10 (with certificate) currently for sale on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/mo...ert/20698345

If you search HipStamp for "Modena 10", you can also see a forgery, offered as genuine, for $292.50. Obviously it is not worth that.

Some of the points to look for:
1. Genuine stamps have a period after the numeral of value.
2. On genuine stamps, the "C" of CENTS has a serif at the bottom.
3. On genuine stamps there are 5 vertical lines in each of the upper quadrants of the shield, and 6 vertical lines in each of the lower quadrants.
4. On genuine stamps, and some forgeries, the line under the value in the bottom panel does not connect to the squares at either corner.

All the stamps of Modena were forged multiple times, by different forgers, but my off-hand opinion is that yours is genuine. Congrats!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   03:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Restoman, thanks for the explanation,
Makes for a good post. Appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add restoman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, Rod!
Valued Member
Canada
71 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigmel222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all but especially Restoman. Great info and valuable link.
Mel
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add restoman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, Mel!

My information comes from "The Serrane Guide", first published in 1927, but reprinted recently by APS. It is an amazing resource for identifying forgeries of the classic stamps.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes! $800 Australian.........
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you can decipher French, you can read a scan of the original on the website of the French National Library:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/b...ge.r=serrane

As for the German States stamps, my source is the forgery manual of the German Philatelic Society.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add restoman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OMG!!!

Twenty years ago, if I had known what the Serrane Guide sells for today, I would have bought cartons of it instead of US commemoratives!

I could'a been RICH!!!
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
APS reprinted the Serrane Guide with an English translation in the 1990's. It was serialized in the magazine over a period of years. If you are an APS member you can search and download those issues.

If the owner of the Schwerin stamp provides a sharp high definition image we may be able to provide more info.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Serrane Guide is open for download here
Internet Archive: Open Library

I am not aware of what requisites one needs to belong,
Only available to members.
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL838...errane_guide

UPDATE.
Appears I am a member, however the item (Serrane Guide) has been removed from service.

Edited by rod222 - 02/24/2020 6:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1069 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, it's there. However, it is only available "for the print-disabled" download.

Hal
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   01:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you kindly Hal,
not sure what that means, but I'll give it another go.

Update:
Unable to access. I logged in, could not see any reference to "print disabled"
clicked "read" but no access.
Edited by rod222 - 02/25/2020 01:32 am
Valued Member
United States
399 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI - Amazon has a copy of the serrane guide for $275 plus shipping.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05