Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Siam Thailand Entertainment Revenues 1939-1980

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
21 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jossanders52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Starting in 1939, 20% tax had to be paid for all forms of entertainment.
This tax was paid by adding stamps to the entertainment tickets.
By law the tickets and stamps had to be torn in two to prevent reuse of the stamps.
The picture shows a very rare early usage and the ticket somehow escaped to be torn.
Interesting is that the ticket is for a magician show by
Max Malini of Houdini level fame.

Are there any stamps issued showing Max Malini? if Yes what country and what Scott number?

These very early tickets in good condition sell for about $250- $300.
Later in 1944 to raise more revenue for the war effort, also restaurant and hotel receipts were taxed with a 20% tax rate. Those receipts are more common, especially from direct after the war.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2526 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
old article insert on Malini:p.15
https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newsp...0726-1.2.142
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf12, thanks a lot, very interesting. I know from the internet that Max Malini did perform for Royalty, Statesmen and
received many expensive presents for his performances.

Thanks again for the article
Jos Sanders
Bangkok Thailand
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first receipt of the Max Malini show has the first series of entertainment revs.
The picture below shows the seconds series imperforated 1 baht stamps,
issued 1946.
If you have any Thailand / Siam revenues and you want to have identification including a value estimate, just downlaod the picture(s) in this tread.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28893 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thailand / Siam revenues and you want to have identification including a value estimate

Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The green pair of stamps of 50 satang each (50 satang equal to 0.5 baht) are printed in 1953 by Thomas De La Rue. These documentary stamps were meant to raise money for a charity called Health and education. This stamp is also called the standing nurse stamp. They were added as supplementary tax to various documents.Value between $2-$5 per pair

The second stamp shows a standing figure of justice with a scale and the other hand a sword. Printed locally in Thailand during the war using bad quality ink and a wide variety of poor quality papers, I guess whatever was available. Value is 1 baht and it is a court fee stamp. Very common, estimate less than $1
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28893 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I don't expect you to solve this one,
I think it a "product confirmation seal"
I may have soaked it off a packet of throat lozenges or headache tablets.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the first green stamp is a so called standing Buddha stamp of 25 satang. Issued to celebrate the year 2500 = 1957
Used similar like the standing nurse stamps in your earlier pictures. A mandatory supplementary tax on several kind of documents to raise money for religious purposes. Stamp is printed by the Tokyo Printing Bureau like I mentioned in 1957.
Estmated price about $0.50

The 2nd stamp is a 3 headed so called Erawan court fee stamp of 4 baht. Printed by Waterlow from 1935 till 1968
Very common court fee stamp estimated $0.50

The 3rd stamp with the 3 flags is not a revenue stamp but a pharmacy seal, used to seal boxes of medicine.
Printed by Thomas De La Rue I guess around 1975 or later. Used by the Sermitr Pharmacy. Estimated around $1.00
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
replace 3 headed with 3 headed elephant
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28893 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again, thank you.

Quote:
Used by the Sermitr Pharmacy.

Amazing ID.
Not sure what I soaked it from, I know during the rains season,
(scorching hot one day, raining the next) I would often get a cold,
and relied heavily on "Tiffy"
I still have some left.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05