Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wooden Post Cards Carved By Mooney Warther - The Search Is On

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hoosierboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Mooney carved these when he was travelling on the road with his carvings in the 30's, 40's and 50's. He packed wood blanks and would spend an evening carving a message and sending them to relatives and friends. There is only this one known to have been sent through the mails:

The Ernest Warther Museum and Gardens in Dover, Ohio web site is https://thewarthermuseum.com/ernest-warther-story

They have at least a dozen, that were sent to mostly family, at the museum. They have no idea how many he did or where they might be. They suspect the bulk of them were sent to people locally as this was mainly where his friends and family were. But through families moving about and passing things to the next generation, they could be anywhere.

Can you supply additional examples of these cards or any information on sightings of these treasures?
Send note to Staff
Edited by hoosierboy - 02/26/2020 11:20 am

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
78 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the unique post card post. Many times I have driven by the Dover Exit on I 77 and wondered about the Warther Museum. I think I will be sure to stop for a visit the next time I drive to N E Ohio.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
Posted 02/28/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
UPDATE to my first post made 2/26/20

Carol corrected me the museum has about a dozen or so wooden post cards that were mailed with either two or four cents of postage. I should be getting more images of additional cards soon and will add them to this threat thereafter.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05