Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Siam Thailand, I Can Help To Identify Your Revenue And Cinderella Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,025Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
37 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jossanders52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If you post a scan, I can help you to identify revenue or Cinderella stamps from Siam/ Thailand and give you a best value estimate

Below revenue stamps from Kelantan in Malaysia issued during the Thai occupation from 1943-1945
In 1943 the Japanese ceded the administrative control of the Northern Malaya states including Kelantan to the Thai. This as a reward for their "co-operation"
The stamps shown are revenue stamps, top line on the stamp reading Kelantan in Thai language, the bottom line reading Hasil = revenue in the local Jawi language. The value is in the the bottom line.
These stamps are very rare. There is a similar range for postage stamps except the bottom line reads Postah and the coat of arms is printed not in red but in a purple color. Also for the postage stamps the highest value is only 10 cents while the highest value for the revenues is $50, 500 times more!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
37 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry in above stamps the top line is not in Thai language but also in the Jawi language
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
2 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Fried to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello! I found this in my collection. Is it a revenue stamp?
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, that is not a revenue stamp. It is an unissued overprint

The following is from my 1980 book on the Postage Stamps of Siam:

"In 1925 the airmail issue was overprinted "Government Museum 2468" in Siamese in anticipation of a fair to be held. Owing to the king's death the fair was cancelled and the overprinted stamps used for interdepartmental accounting only. These were not issued to the public although numerous used and a few unused examples found their way to collectors."

At that date, I gave a value for the 25st overprint as $150. for unused and $5. for used.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 04/15/2020   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Fried to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even more interesting! The overprint was applied so soon after the first issue of airmail stamps. Were only airpost stamps overprinted? And why? Because there was little demand for airmail use and in 1925 and an overabundance of printings? Or because the fair could be better advertised globally through airmail postings? Every country has an interesting story about the first airmail stamp usage and its significance as promotional, political uses and the care taken in the design of the stamp to depict the most appropriate reflection of individual countries' cultural iconography mixed with the the newness of flying machines. Siam/Thailand is a perfect example of the old and new depicted in their first airmail stamps. Thank you for the identification.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4942 Posts
Posted 04/15/2020   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, not every country. As far as I can recall, Britain has never issued air-mail stamps - the one piece of philatelic hokum to which we've remained immune.
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
Posted 04/15/2020   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John - The overprints were only applied to the airmail issue. The airmails were issued on January 3, 1925 and the King died on November 26, 1925.

I can only report the facts, not guess what was in the mind of the postal authorities.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2651 Posts
Posted 04/30/2020   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bought this not long ago.I thought it was interesting with the 1 BAHT
overprinted stamp..Would you say that it is of genuine use on this document?

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 04/30/2020   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As far as I can recall, Britain has never issued air-mail stamps

Aerogrammes?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1468 Posts
Posted 04/30/2020   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the GB SG 2357a & b, 2358 & 2358a and 2359 were regarded as airmail stamps.
Valued Member
United States
37 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like to show some Thailand revenue stamps.
Original stamps are general Revenue stamps printed by Waterlow in 1883.
The original stamps depicts King Rama 5 a very popular king for the Thai people (He modernized Thailand and was able to prevent the French and the British to colonize Thailand).
Around 1893 these stamps were surcharged and used as Court Fee stamps. The first Ble stamp on the page has a surcharged value of 1 att and the last is a mint stamp with a surcharged value of 40 Tical(or Baht). 40 Tical is equivalent to 2560 att, an enormous high value at that time. These stamps are very rare in mint condition. In used condition they are very brittle due to the long exposure of the high tropical heat and humidity.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous collection.
Not seen these before, well done you!

Valued Member
United States
37 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just looked up the export prices for Thai rice in 1894.
The 40 baht stamp would be equivalent to 800 kg or about 1700 pounds of white export grade of rice.
My estimated price today for this stamp , with only 3 mint copies known to me, about $1,500-$2,500
Valued Member
United States
37 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
to perf12 pictures of document posted on April 30.
Sorry, I missed this post.
The document is quite interesting and yes it is genuine.
The Blue 1 baht stamp bottom right is a provisional general revenue stamp, an overprinted postage stamp issued 1928 overprinted for revenue use in 1932..

On the left of this stamp are 2 court fee stamps. The green stamp is also a 1 baht stamp (Thai numerals) issued 1942 during the war. I have to wait for my THai friends to give a rough translation of the document. This can take a few days. It looks like this document was issued outside the court with the 1 baht blue stamp.
The 8 stamps in the left hand top have a written date 2487 or 1944
So my best guess today is that the document with issued around 1935 with the blue 1 baht stamp.
In 1944 the court added the 2 court fee stamps and the stamps in the top. The handwritten text in the margins also indicate this document was endorsed or something in the court after it was issued.
More details in a few days. Not sure what you paid for the document, it should be around $10
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2651 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jossanders52 for your reply.
Did not cross my mind that the stamps were added at some point.
10$ is what I paid for it.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2651 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Info appreciated:Scott 17 with a crimson marking under the cancel.What is that ?

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,025Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05