Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unusual Color Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BenFranklinStamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know a lot of stamps range in colors such as reds but this is a lot different. I cannot find anything about it on the web. See the pic side by side of the 2 cent stamps.
Let me know what you think.

Thank you
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5809 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is just a very faded version probably exposed too long to sunlight.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
2 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BenFranklinStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good answer but wouldn't it be a more faded red?
Pillar Of The Community
6845 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mermaid21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking it might be caused by being exposed to the elements, I had the same question about these.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the left one is slightly faded from exposure to light and that the right one is slightly oxidized (or as chemists would say - reduced) giving it a darker than normal appearance.

Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mermaid 21:
As to the 1 stamps, the one at the bottom of the scan may be an offset issue (Scott 525) and the one at the top of the scan a normal flat plate printing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure either one is a changeling. The first is likely the Scott-listed scarlet & black. The second likely the Scott-listed dark carmine and black.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...the second stamp slightly darkened by exposure to the elements (I think you can see hints of the "natural" dark carmine color at the sides near the stomach of the female figure, and also at bottom, around the word "CENTS.")

As I've (and others have) pointed out numerous times in other threads, it's always hard to judge shades from photographs where color & exposure are not well-controlled. It's typically nothing more than a guess.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's possible that a careful application of hydrogen peroxide to the front of the second stamp would reverse some (or all) of the darkening/suffuretting.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05