Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A 2c Us 634A Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
5 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys-

I have a 634A question. I am an Ancient Roman coin collector. I am also an old man going through a bunch of old collected things deciding what to do with them.

My aunt who died in 1973 was a stamp collector. Her kids probably got most of her better stamps but I ended up with a box they did not want. I dug it out of the garage about 5 months ago and have been educating myself about old US stamps. Old used US stamps are not worth much! There are about 100+ fat 6 x 3 envelopes that are numbered, a real fat envelope labeled 1800s, and about 8 inches of various stamps stuck on two-sided letter sized paper.

I posted here about November of last year about what I saw on eBay that I had. LOL. Scam. At the time I estimated that the box had about 20K stamps. There are a lot more. 50K+? I am not going to count them!

All of the above said to get to my question. I have two fat envelopes labeled 634. I have dumped and separated one of them out. I do not know how many are here but my coin gram scale says 93.38 grams. I also have researched your affinity for the 634A stamp. I have a lot of time on my hand.

www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa/1922/634vs634A.html

Is it worth my time digging through this large stack of old #634 stamps looking for a 634A type? OR. Should I try to find a real stamp collector willing to do so? How could I find one?
Thank you for your response-

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1327 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   7:11 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on the skill of the person who packed the envelopes. A mix of #634 is generally not that interesting but later printings can be identified by color and removed. Someone interested in plate varieties might take on such a mix. Earlier printings, generally a darker carmine, may include type II #634A and more expensive type I #634b carmine lake examples. It is also possible that the mix contains flat plate perf 11 #554 and rotary press perf 10 #583 with very occasional coil waste perf 11 x 10 #579 and maybe a coil waste perf 11 #595. The bottom line is that the lot could have value to someone in this forum and would be worth offering at modest price where the buyer pays shipping.

A pound (about 10,000 stamps) of 552/583/634 mix would be worth about $5 if pure #634 and possibly ten times that if someone thought it contained other stamps and varieties worth searching. A note of caution for potential buyers: I have about 200,000 dark carmine 634/634A stamps in bundles probably from the 1929 to 1930 period. In 1965 Richard Kiusalas estimated that 1 in 200 would be a #634A, later verified by me from a sample.

Earlier Washington/Franklin 2 cent stamps from the 1912-1922 period are potentially worth much more. I purchased a lot of about 200,000 stamps and found 11 envelopes of 100 marked #499 that contained about 20 type Ia stamps #4 500 cataloging $4,800. A mix in purchased in the early 1960 period cost $15 and yielded the first of the two known used Scott #459 examples with US Automatic Vending Machine private perforations that now catalogs $15,000 .

Some treasure hunter out there would buy the mix. Multiple pictures showing the various envelopes and the size of the mix could convince someone, perhaps on this site, to buy it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by cfrphoto - 02/27/2020 7:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3364 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... could convince someone, perhaps on this site, to buy it.

After getting to 50 quality posts, of course. Good luck.
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 02/29/2020   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your advise.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05