Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Siegel Offering The Edward Morton Us Collection In April

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 133 / Views: 6,656Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6599 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is part of the description of this stamp. Part of it is nonsense, as was stated above.

"The example offered here comes from a strip of three of Positions 6-8R1E, offered in our 2007 Rarities sale, which was cut apart with a view towards preserving the margins of this stamp"
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are talking about the original users' back in the day.

Precisely. That's what makes true four-margin copies of this stamp so rare. Four-margin "jumbo" copies created during the past decade are not the genuine article.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6599 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was cut apart with an eye towards someone paying 3X or 4X catalog for it. Nothing more, and nothing less.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4369 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is correct.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard that Siegel changed its mind and decided to accept the $90,000 bid on the #5.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1973 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, their site now shows a $90,000 price realized.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6599 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Which means the owner decided to accept it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am in agreement with those who feel that this problem is created by grading, which in my opinion has been a cash cow to certain expertizing organizations and in my opinion a disaster everywhere else in the hobby. Again, my opinion, it was created as a parallel income stream when the appeal of straight up expertizing was not generating enough capital in the same way that sports paraphernalia is more important to some than the game being played or on the hour legal fees sometimes dwarf the amount of money being fought over.

Funny—in the old days, a collector could see a stamp and without a numerical grade put into the categories or avg/fine, fine, f/vf, vf, and better than VF. He or she could also correlate that roughly to the catalog price, particularly since the time Scott's tagged its listing price to VF. Now that you have on line sources of market realizations like Siegel, the job is even easier—again without the need for a numerical grade.

When I look at numerically graded certificates, I do not appreciate a major, and most often not a minor, visual difference between 95,98 and 100. I see perfectly centered jumbos graded 90 and I ask myself why is this not graded 100? I see stamps clearly not perfectly centered graded 98 and have difficulty explaining this. Do most of us actually believe that there is a difference between 98 and 100? Between 95 and 98?

Finally I look at the number of stamps from the 1940's on submitted for grading as if finding a well centered stamp with the recent technology is the same as finding a VF or better centered stamp from the 19th centered and I shake my head.

Anyone can look at the mutilated strip of #5 and readily conclude what happened and why it happened. Without grading—the Coronavirus of the hobby—-it might still have happened, for greed and manipulation knows no boundary, but I am thinking maybe not
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4369 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grading helps in some respects. One that comes to mind is not having to deal with sellers describing all of their material as "Superb" which is a pain in the neck. It quantifies a condition. No process is flawless however. Grading is hardly the "coronavirus" though. LOL It is disingenuous to lump the mutilation of a rare multiple in with a grade being assigned to a one cent Columbian. Kind of like demolishing your house because the paint is peeling.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6599 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Do most of us actually believe that there is a difference between 98 and 100? Between 95 and 98"?

Much as I despise grading, there is a difference between them. I sometimes disagree with the grades given, but it is there.

Meanwhile a used 206 brought $450, Used 210 $850!!!, used 213 $750!!!, mint 220 $700, mint 231 $1000!!!!!!, mint 267 $550, mint 279 $500, used 285 $800!!!, used 286 $600!!!, used 289 $1200!, used 295 $285, used C7 $750!!!!!, used C9 $475!, used C10 $800!, well you get the idea. The certificate collectors were out in full force. I'm sure glad it wasn't my money.
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This proud "certificate collector" was "out in full force" and very happy to get 3 lots! Whiffed on 3 others.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4369 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations Rhett!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6599 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But were you bidding those types of dollars on the numbers I posted? There were certainly nice stamps worth bidding on.
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, not on the lots you mentioned. I won lots 125, 476, and 608. Whiffed on lots 94, 335, and 452.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6599 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I think you were lucky on 94 and 335, but the 3 you got are very nice, particularly the #34. Although it was certainly pricey.
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 133 / Views: 6,656Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05