Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Mexico Album - Scott

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 118 / Views: 7,335Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 12/30/2021   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two lovelies that I have been able to add. 1921 sc 632-633 Centenary End of war for independence. El Abrazo de acatempan and Estrada del ejercito trigarante. Also Including the almost completed page.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 12/31/2021   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Saw mention made referencing article written by Farley Katz. Haven't seen any previous posts from him on SCF, unless I missed it but I know that he participates, or did, on the Frajola board.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 12/31/2021   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi funcitypapa - happy New Years eve. What is the Frajola Board? Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6376 Posts
Posted 12/31/2021   11:53 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nora

Ici.

https://www.rfrajola.com/

Best wishes to you and your family for 2022!

Geoff
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 12/31/2021   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Geoff and best wishes to you and yours as well
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/06/2022   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In May 1911, President Porfirio Diaz was expelled from Mexico and Francisco Madero, the son of a rich landowner, assumed the presidency. In February 1913, General Victoriano Huerta instigated a revolution and the people of Mexico City rose up against Madero. On February 22nd Madero was assassinated and General Huerta proclaimed himself as the provisional president, until his official election took place on October 26, 1913.

Among Madero's best friends and supporters were Maytorena, Governor of Sonora, and Carranza, the Governor of Chihuahua. When Huerta was elected President, Carranza and a few hundred of his followers went to Sonora and he declared himself Chief of the Revolutionary Army. The State of Sonora revolted and declared itself free and independent of Huerta and started a civil war by driving the Mexican Federales out of the State of Sonora.

Prior to the revolution, the State of Sonora had the usual supply of government stamps on hand, but these were soon exhausted and it was necessary to provide new stamps for postal and revenue use.

The first of these stamps, "The White Issues," were issued in May 1913. The inscription on these stamps "Estado Libre y Soberano de Sonora" is translated as "Free and Sovereign State of Sonora." These stamps were embossed with the word "Constitucional," used as a control mark. However, they were hand struck, a slow a process, and the next issues of Sonora were overprinted with a green seal. I do not have an example of the White - a few with the green seal updated.

In 1916, the overprint "G. P. DE M." ( Gobierno Proviorio de Mexico)- "Provisional Government of Mexico"- was used on eleven stamps of the 1910 Independence issue. The overprint is known as the "Corbata". Visually, I really like this Corbata overprint. Close up of Scott 572. Also In 1916, a new surcharge overprint, known as the "Barril", was applied on some of the 1910 Independence issues. The "Barril" can be found in brown, blue, green, and red.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35161 Posts
Posted 01/06/2022   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice background information, Nora.
Very helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/06/2022   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod - I am going to try to add more detail on my posts- I am sure most of you on the forum know this history, but it pushes me to learn more about the history and nuances of my stamps.
Edited by Mrita75 - 01/06/2022 9:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
592 Posts
Posted 01/06/2022   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting the background as well as the very pleasing pages.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1480 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   02:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nora,

I do not think European members, other, maybe, than Spanish members, will have been taught about the history of Mexico. That background to the stamp issues is very interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good job, Nora. The collection is looking great.
One observation - when you place a variety (non-major number) stamp in the space for the major number, such as your 106e, I like to pencil in that variety number under/above the stamp. It helps me (and possibly later owners of my album) remember why that "non-overprinted stamp" is placed in that spot. It is also especially nice if the variety is a significantly more expensive stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Charles! I hope you are doing great - Thank you very much for your advice. Ok so I remember being a bit challenged with this stamp... I have two - ahhh I see the one I decided to mount is indeed 106e - no overprint. Got it :) This is one of my favorite pages. Not sure I will ever complete it, but you never know :) I will definitely try. Nora.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Felt like adding in some updated pages. Making real progress and learning a lot along the way. I won my first White Sonora 1913 -embossed with the word "Constitucional'.

The Denver issues were produced and authorized for sale on July 31, 1914. The name "Denver" that collectors call this issue comes from where this issue was printed in Denver Colorado by Smith - Brooks Printing Company. With printing on white medium pre-gummed paper these stamps are very appealing to me. Values from 1 centavos to 1 peso were sold. The later issues had the Corbata overprint (the ones I am showing) and the Barril surcharges applied in 1916. Also included updates to 1916 issues with Corbata.

In addition to the locals and provisionals, a great variety of overprints and surcharges were added to stocks of existing stamps by the powers then in control. Although many of these were printed on the stamps, they are commonly known by Mexican philatelists as "gomigrafos" or rubber stamps. Among the best known of these overprints are the "GCM" monograms, standing for "Gobierno Constitucionalista Mexicano" or the "Constitutional Mexican Government." Varieties of this overprint were first used by the Conventionalists supported by Villa, and later by the Constitutionalists and known as the Carranza overprints

I corrected some 1923 stamps that I previously posted. I had incorrectly included rouletted stamps versus the appropriate perf stamps. Last but not least, a few Pro-Universidad stamps.In 1934, Mexico issued a beautiful compound set of stamps honoring its National University (Scott #698-706/C54-61/RA138). Showcasing Mexico's Aztec heritage in Art Deco style. Some of these are very expensive due to quantity printed and well out of my reach.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 02/18/2022   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few Airmail pages updated. I wanted to try out the scanner on some of my MEXICO collection. Much cleaner :) but color a little funky. I've always liked C26-27 - was happy to receive C-26 from Willwood42 (we did a little trading). It is getting a little more challenging to add to the collection as I have many of the common ones - I like to shop many different sites for good quality that won't break the bank so it takes patience and a lot of persistence (which I have a lot of - Persistence! I have a lot of persistence, not Patience :)

Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 118 / Views: 7,335Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05