Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Used Modern Day Stamps More Valuable Than Mnh Copies? Will They Ever?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,631Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dgwhite87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know this question requires a crystal ball to actually answer, but I'm looking for some experienced guidance.

Mint Never Hinged seems like the best way to collect something if you one day plan to sell it.
However, it also seems like modern US self-adhesive stamps are scarce--people just aren't mailing as many letters as they used to.

Do you predict that USED copies of these modern stamps will one day exceed MNH value, or is MNH always the best way to collect if one is looking for an eventual resell.

Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5980 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   05:10 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are considering an eventual resale, don't buy modern stamps! In the real (i.e. the non-catalogue) world, prices of modern (i.e.post-war) mint stamps that may still be used for postage largely have their resale value determined by their postal value, with an appropriate discount.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
476 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   05:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to collect modern stamps you yourself have pointed the way to go when you say
Quote:
people just aren't mailing as many letters as they used to

Collect good used well cancelled on cover with a single stamp of the right period paying the correct rate. Commens or definitives are euqally difficult especially to destinations overseas.

If anyone is still collecting in 20 or 30 years time these will be like hens teeth.

Again I much prefer single stamps. I would not go for the covers covered with a mass of older, out of period stamps, that dealers buy at a huge discount and then use to cut their postage costs.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
476 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   05:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to collect modern stamps you yourself have pointed the way to go when you say
Quote:
people just aren't mailing as many letters as they used to

Collect good used well cancelled on cover with a single stamp of the right period paying the correct rate. Commens or definitives are equally difficult especially to destinations overseas.

If anyone is still collecting in 20 or 30 years time these will be like hens teeth.

Again I much prefer single stamps. I would not go for the covers covered with a mass of older, out of period stamps, that dealers buy at a huge discount and then use to cut their postage costs.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my mind "modern stamps" and "valuable" are mutually exclusive. I do think, based upon the amount of non-philatelic mail I receive with stamps affixed, that there is something to the notion that postally used modern stamps will be harder to find than mint however. Especially the dollar value Priority Mail stamps with CDS.

A search of "sold" eBay postally used dollar vallue Priority/Express stamps yielded a substantial number of sales at relatively healthy dollar amounts.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/678/i.html...Sold=1&rt=nc

NOTE: These are modern stamps but are water activated, not self adhesive. Does that matter?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7629 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It will also depend on the usage involved. Even now, some "modern" covers from the 60's, 70's and 80's can have real value to some collectors depending on the specific stamps involved and the use they were put to.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dgwhite87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the reply. This may have been a dumb question for experienced collectors, but I am still new and still trying to figure out "what to collect".

Being able to grow my collection by traveling to different post offices and mailing myself letters seems fun.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6540 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding modern stamps, I collect only those that interest me, usually based on a connection to current technology. Self-adhesive is removed. Resale value is never a consideration.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5593 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DGWHITE 87 ----- I lived my life trying to predict tomorrow . So lets look at your question and to do that we need to look at the past .

Your question is about U.S. Stamps .....mint U.S. stamps can be purchased at 1/2 of face and you will run out of money before the big auction house will run out lots to sell you . The subject of USED stamps is harder to answer because it will depend on what interest collectors in the future .

My experience is from being a stamp dealer in the Chicago area during the 1990's and 2000's ,I sold foreign stamps and there was a few dealers who had tables and sold USED modern U.S. stamps at half face and all them were sold out on the first day of the bourse or show .

So I will say if you can buy modern for a few cents a piece and hold on to them ,it is not unrealisitic to be able to sell them at 1/2 to 1/3 face in the future.Also be aware than some can be sold at full face especially some of those rarely used stuff like sheets where each stamp is different .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5593 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh !!!! I forgot to answer your second posting .

Don't mistake the fun of collecting with what your trying to make a profit on .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
693 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Betting on modern US stamps either used or unused as an investment vehicle, which is sort of what the OP is asking, sounds crazy to me. Neither is likely to be worth anything in the future for the same reason they are worth nothing now: too many stamps, too few collectors, and not enough interest by the younger generation to replace older collectors who are dying off or selling. Even though we are as a society living longer the demographics for stamp collecting in this country, maybe not the rest of the world, looks unfavorable. If you buy modern stamps, do so for enjoyment only. Delete the concept of monetary value from the equation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3820 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   5:16 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
20 years ago I could get more than 300kg per month of recent kiloware from just one charity source alone.

That very same contact this year I got all their very recent and was lucky to get 3kg per 3 months.

The math tells me that the postally used stamp rules.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33635 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Resale value is never a consideration.

I am of this persuasion also, albeit, always nice to see a high value of a stamp one may own, usually indicates scarcity.
I do save all that passes my desk, covers just get scanned and placed in a box in the attic, will be fun for others when I'm feeding the worms.

I used to get bemused smiles, when I collected Cinderellas 15 years ago at local auctions. That's all I could afford, colleagues would dump all their unwanteds at my feet.
They have outstripped common stamp values by huge margins since.

Just tread your own path and collect what pleases you

We have an Australian Journalist whom has a series in out magazine, called "Chip Free Zone"
These are dedicated covers with older stamps that explain contemporary correct rate usage. Some of these go for hundreds of dollars (Post 1960)
That is fine, but requires an intimate knowledge of postal rates and usage
usually arrived at after years of study.

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dgwhite87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all of your answers and wisdom on stamps and value.

I expect you will all probably get more questions like mine from other 30yr old collectors at one point or another. We grew up collecting sports cards, Pokemon cards and Magic the Gathering cards, all where value is ingratiated in the hobby of collecting. We open a pack of cards, see a shiny rare card and immediately go ask the store owner "how much is this worth" and then "how many packs can I trade this in for".

So our perspective on collecting for value is just different. We didn't grow up collecting things just for the sake of fun. I'm willing to give it a shot though, hopefully you all can bare future dumb questions; Im sure to have a lot of them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7629 Posts
Posted 03/07/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are no dumb questions. Occasionally there may be a dumb answer, but the pursuit of knowledge is the asking of many questions.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 03/08/2020   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Confucious?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,631Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05