Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can I Mail Myself A Cover With A Cinderella Instead Of Proper Postage

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 884Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2825 Posts
Posted 03/09/2020   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am intrigued by the law-abiding direction the responses have taken. I'll bet if the request had been "Post your cinderellas which passed free through the mail" we would have several dozen images posted by now! Yes, they are collectible and I have bought several from $1 boxes.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 03/09/2020   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
You can create lots of cool covers without cheating the post office.

Folks who collect charity seals put a great premium on covers where the seal was placed near the postage stamp so that both 'caught' the postmark. (The result is a seal 'tied' to the cover.) Nothing materially wrong with doing this with any cinderella.

Immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor - but before Germany declared war on the US - Herman 'Pat' Herst sent five covers to fictitious persons at largely fictitious addresses in Germany. He was hoping that the returned covers might have wartime embargo markings and, if memory serves, he was two for five.

Yes, that imposed some unrecompensed costs on the ReichPost. Yawn.

You can also invest in a Mailer's Postmark Permit. This enables you to not only festoon covers with postage, but to add a legible postmark.

I think that the occasional well-adorned 'philatelic' cover adds a nice touch to any collection; after all, it says that somebody cared.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 884Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05