Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hungarian WWII Food Voucher

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 369Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
648 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   12:56 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This Hungarian revenue is described as: '1943 1944 - HUNGARY - pumpkin seed - WW2 WWII - food voucher - revenue tax stamp - USED - agriculture - 5 kg.'

Can someone explain the basis / reason for using the term 'pumpkin seed' in the description?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
1198 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"tökmag" is "pumpkin seed" in hungarian language.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by vayolene - 03/19/2020 01:06 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
648 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   01:23 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, OK, thank you for the quick answer !

Would you happen to know if this is a voucher for being able to buy 5Kg of pumpkin seeds, or is it a revenue stamp taxing 5Kg of seeds?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1149 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say this is a food voucher stamp. I imagine it would also have been used as a documentary revenue stamp as well (ie, stick it on a receipt and initial it as proof of payment or exchange). It comes from very troubled times
Pillar Of The Community
United States
648 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   10:19 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Tim.
My father was Hungarian, and I know quite a bit of the family history during this era, but clearly need to study-up on the country's history...time to find a good book that goes over it.
I find it amazing that a voucher would be needed for something as mundane as a bag of seeds (as viewed from a modern-day perspective).
Cheers,
George
Pillar Of The Community
United States
534 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, we need vouchers for toilet paper now. Even more mundane than pumpkin seeds.
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrooklynBoy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Docgfd:

I clicked on this out of curiosity, so I apologize in advance for not being able to offer up any useful answers.

Have you learned anything else about this Food Voucher Stamp and its history?
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05