Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Needed - Sg77 1d Red Of 1924-26

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 502Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add itma to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have three copies of this stamp as pictured below. The first two could be ACSC89(19)d but I can't see the accompanying retouch to the right frame. Should that have read "top frame at right"?

The third example is quite distinctive but I can't see anything in ACSC that looks like it. The old album it came page from is annotated "?make-ready repair". Any help, confirmation, etc would be much appreciated.

Send note to Staff
Edited by itma - 03/19/2020 5:27 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion:
cannot be 89(19) d (BW 2007 edition)
there are no gashes in top frame.

Please try to include known watermark ID with examples.

Postmarks MITTAGONG (NSW) MILDURA (VIC) and (scan too small)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 03/19/2020 9:42 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK thanks, Rod. I think I've got it. In the 2018 ACSC, I missed two two "No top to crown" on Electro 21 - 89(21)j (Pos. 21L19) and 89(21)l (Pos. 21R9). I'm pretty sure it's 89(21)l. In the ACSC illustration, if I use a bit of imagination, I see three very small peaks where the crown should have been. That matches my two examples.

Now I have to find out what's going on with the third stamp.

Hope you are keeping well in these troubling times.

Regards,

Frank.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Frank, I defer to you, with the 2018 catalogue.
I need to update.
The multitude of electros make a challenge for this issue.

Your "no top to crowns" are fabulous.
Yes, I am well, no anxiety, but feel for small business owners,
and part timers.
Trust you are in good shape also.

I have 60x 1.5d reds, this is the nearest to yours, (badly defined top frame)
Edited by rod222 - 03/19/2020 10:33 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 03/20/2020   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed that my images were not too good. Here's something better, along with the ACSC images as well.

I'm currently working my way through this and another couple of pages of page of flawed 1d red side faces.

I've been looking for your bad crown but haven't come across it yet.

We are keeping well, too. No reported cases in our town yet (Brockville, Ontario: Pop, 20,000), and people are being pretty good at staying at home for other than needed.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 03/20/2020   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some curiosities of the 1.5d red
Note: most "top of crown" the Maltese Cross has a flat top,
I have two that are castellated (in the shape of a battlement)

"No top to Crown" Owner KG5 collector of this forum

Australian Stamp News 2006
Surface / Unsurfaced Line pair.

Owner :A colleague of mine from the next town over.
Edited by rod222 - 03/20/2020 6:32 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 03/23/2020   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some more examples, unidentified and identified.

Unidentified: Dent in upper frame at right and disturbance (rusty plate?) below - 2 identical copies.

Unidentified: Cracks (?) from "IA" of "AUSTRALIA".

If anyone can help identify the Plate/Position number, it would be appreciated.

Identified: PQSTAGE - ACSC 89(22)t, Position 22R45.

Identified: Major break in lower frame below 'E' of 'HALFPENCE' - ACSC 89(24)k, Position 24R21.

Edited by itma - 03/23/2020 3:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
876 Posts
Posted 03/23/2020   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Itma,

BTW....your first 1d Red(2/SE/25) appears to have Jumbo margins top/bottom. Not particularly common. (imo)
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finches:

Interesting, thanks for pointing this out. What stamps would normally have these wide margins? The outer rows of the plate?

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
876 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Itma,

The only thing I've observed on these KGV Jumboes, the last vertical perf appears squarish. All the rest would be a guess!.

Your is the FIRST 'No Crown' 1d Red Jumbo i've seen.
Edited by finches - 03/24/2020 08:35 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So far, I've found 4 or 5 examples. All but one are 89(21)l, the other being 89(21)j. These are from Positions 21R9 (shown to the left in the first image below with the second image being detail) and 21L29 (detail in third image) respectively. The two varieties are quite distinctly different.

Edited by itma - 03/24/2020 1:06 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few more.

This unidentified one has signs of cracks from the final "IA" in "AUSTRALIA". ACSC comments that these flaws are relatively rare as they required the electro to be repaired as quickly as possible.

An unidentified variety with a significantly chopped-off top left corner. 3 examples so very definitely constant.

Another unidentified stamp with a problem in the upper left corner.

The last unidentified one for today. The nick in the lower left frame is similar to 89(26)d and 89(28)e but slightly higher. 3 examples so definitely constant. The disturbance in the lower right frame also looks constant. I find it odd that this variety is not in ACSC as it is every bit as noticeable as the other two cases.

And finally an identified variety. ACSC 89(21)d is described ar "retouched NW corner". The left frame takes a definite turn to the right as it approaches the top corner. Also noticeable in the left-hand example is a lack of alignment between the stamp and the perforation.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 502Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05