Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Want To Use These For Postage.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,222Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
577 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add modernstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I want to use these stamps for postage.
I believe they are .34 cent stamps.
Can anyone verify that these are .34 cent stamps.
Thank you!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First class = 55 cents
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1028 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A stamp was issued with that design with a 34c denomination on it in 2001. Yours, without any denomination, must have come later, and I believe it would still be 34c even without a denomination. I have some trouble imagining most postal clerks knowing this. I'd bet any normal envelope with that stamp on it would go through the mails with little problem even today -- unless it has some kind of electronic means of triggering itself as it goes through a cancelling machine. If it said "Forever" none of this would matter since Forever stamps pay First Class postage, well, forever no matter what you originally paid for them.

Today you'll need additional postage to pay the current 55c First Class rate, 21c in fact. Or just use two stamps which is what I do. The Postal Service can use the extra few cents.
Edited by DrewM - 03/21/2020 6:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BaldEagle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The October 21, 2019 issue of Linn's Stamp News showed all the nondenominated US stamps including the First Class ones. The article stated that the First Class designation meant its value would always be the same as when issued. Therefore, yours are worth 34c. Only Forever stamps vary with the current first class rate.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
56 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This pane of 20 is Scott #3449, issued December 15, 2000. Along with a Statue of Liberty stamp and a Flowers issue, these stamps were issued in anticipation of a postage rate increase that was undetermined at the time. The same design with a 34 cent denomination (Scott #3469) was issued February 7 of 2001, after the rate increase was settled at 1 cent. Many regular issues were done like this before the Forever stamps came about, beginning in 2007. Your stamps retain their 34 cent value.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is a 34-cent stamp.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eraserman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSS!

Apologies - I stand corrected!

I would have used them one stamp per envelope today and not known the difference.

Back to my revenues in philatelic shame....

Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to all of you for your comments.
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
Posted 03/21/2020   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a bunch of these in my stash to use as postage,at different rates, but I'm assuming no one would know their value and it wouldn't go through.
Pillar Of The Community
3971 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I do not advocate this, any letter with a tagged stamp when dropped in a blue box will be handled completely by machine until it finds its way to a delivery-sequence tray with your letter carrier at your curb who will be looking at the address portion of the letter. There is an extremely high chance it will pass successfully through the USPS without ever being noticed.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5980 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   03:40 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How complicated! Here, a first or second class stamp issued, say, thirty years ago, is still appropriate for first or second class use today. I pity the poor employee who theoretically needs an encyclopaedic knowledge of stamp issues and postal rates to determine whether the correct stamps have been used.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't say Forever, soooo $.34 is the value.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Along the same lines, can "Class" postage stamps still be used?

It is a pain to figure out what some of these stamps are valued at. The "make-up stamps in particular need some rate research.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5312 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   09:10 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A handy visual reference chart for this and all of the letter stamps, makeup stamps, etc.:

http://alphabetilately.org/G2.html
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dan!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,222Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05