Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Mexico General Stamp Album (1856 - Closest Date)?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 472Next Topic  

Mexico
3 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Totimehuacano01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to this field, and for some years I have been collecting some stamps from my country (Mexico) either from buying or inheriting them, but I'm completely new to stamp collection (I've been a collector of coins and banknotes for some years now, and I think it's way easier) and after a little reasearch, I came to the conclusion that using an album is the best way to start, while also using a scott catalogue for my country; but, wich is the best album fo Mexico that I could use?

I've found these ones:
https://stampsbooks.com/mexico-stamps/
http://www.stampalbums.com/

My plan is to have an album that I can print and store the way I like, but if you have any other options (digital or physic) that can help me, it would be greatly aprecciated if you shared them here.

P.S. Stamp collecting is way way more expensive than coin or banknote collecting, funny thing

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by Totimehuacano01 - 03/22/2020 4:41 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29320 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have a look at our member Mrita 75
Her Journey............
http://goscf.com/t/71770 br /
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Mexico
3 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Totimehuacano01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222; thank you! seems interesting, those pages look great in quality (I can quite imagine the price)do you know if those pages can be used with black mounts? or with any mounts? Thank you
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29320 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tot,
hopefully, Mrita will respond.
I do recall she opted for clear mounts in another thread, so I would presume
the pages will accept either clear or black.
But you will need to confirm.

I have used both, for pristine mint stamps, clear mounts are beautiful, but for earlier used stamps with dodgy perforations, postmarks I prefer the black. A continual conundrum, but mixing them is not advised.

If you are in the US, personally I would opt for the Scott material, makes collecting so much easier, when matching catalogue information.

Usual caveat: tread your own path, whatever suits your individuality.
Welcome to the hobby.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
514 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Totime! (hope it is ok to shorten your avatar/name). So awesome to see someone who collects and/or is interested in collecting Mexico! My journey has not been long, I was gifted a nice amount of stamps from my Tia - she is from a small town in northern Mexico. I fell in love with the stamps and have been on a journey to learn for about 4 months now. This site it amazing BTW.

I was interested in collecting Mexican stamps from 1856 to about 1970ish - I did a lot of research to figure out the best way to collect and display them. The first thing I did was sort my stamps by date and I used VARIO sheets to store them (you can look at some of my older posts). Once I did that, I bought a used Scott Catalogue - 2000 classic specialized 1840-1940 (I paid $20). and started to work on categorizing them. I also use StampWorld.com for cross reference.

Once I was ready to get an album, I looked at different options like StampAlbums.com and buying a nice binder to print myself. However, I decided to go with a nicer album for my Mexico stamps and got advice on here to look at Dealers who sell Scott Album pages and Binders. I ended up going with Potomac Supplies/Maryland Stamp and Coin and purchased the Scott Mexico Specialty pages 1856-1978 (they also include Back of Book such as AirMail, Special Delivery and Official stamps). I paid around $70 but the quality is amazing. I am using Clear mounts for my Mexico Album - but you can use Black if you like. I use Black for my US Album.

Sorry last thing, Now for other countries such as France, I did opt to print my own pages from StampAlbums.com. I purchased a nice inexpensive binder and am pleased with that as well. Yes it does get expensive, but I cut back in other areas so that I can keep my hobby going :) Bienvenido! Nora.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4782 Posts
Posted 03/23/2020   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you're using a printed album, the method preferred by album manufacturers is to use clear mounts. Any illustration or information in the box is then not obscured. If you have used or previously hinged mint stamps, there's no need to use mounts at all - hinges are fine.
Mexico
3 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Totimehuacano01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everybody, I appreciate your answers! philately can be confusing sometimes, but with your help this path will be easier.

I have checked the scott albums Mrita recommends me; wich, looks quite good, in fact I think I will choose that in particular (1856-2016) but for sure it will take me some time to save up the money it costs!! doesn't matter, waiting is the best part of the hobby.

Thanks once again for your generous responses, I'll update when that album is in my hands.
Valued Member
United States
278 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An alternative is to buy an album off of eBay. They usually contain stamps and in this case quite a few

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEXICO-Won...AOSwnqtedNz1

If I didn't already have a Mexico album, I might bid on this one. It only goes up to 1987, but mine only goes to 1964
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1897 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   12:13 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'Cronologia Filatelica De Mexico' is a comprehensive album set published in Mexico. I think it has over twenty volumes, entire volumes are given to various issues. Link to past discussion:

http://goscf.com/t/68127

The publisher doesn't have a dedicated site but has an eBay store; They are expensive but look interesting. I've been dithering about buying a section or two myself.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 472Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05