Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Brisbane 1982 Memories

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 0 / Views: 122Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
257 Posts
Posted 03/22/2020   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Penguins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As we have been advised to stay at home as much as possible during the Corona virus pandemic we have some time to browse through some of the stamp material that has not seen the light of day for a while.

Back in 1982 Eunice made up a collection highlighting events in Brisbane during the year.

1982 was an exciting year in Brisbane Queensland commencing with the visit of the USS Truxton in April.

August saw the annual EKKA exhibition which had a Post Office on site with philatelic items on sale and with special exhibition cancels.

Brisbane held a spring festival called 'WARANA' but in 1982 it was decided to combine the events with all the build-up to the Commonwealth Games and it was then called 'FESTIVAL 82'.
National Stamp Week was included in that period.

The big event of the year was the XII Commonwealth Games Brisbane 1982.
For this occasion there were also ship visits, including the Royal Yacht Britannia bringing the Queen and Prince Philip.

The next event was in October and was ANPEX 82 the Australian National Philatelic Exhibition.

The final event of the year was the SCOUT JAMBOREE at Collingwood Park, celebrating the 75th anniversary.

Browsing the collection sent me back almost four decades and brought back many memories, as I was one of the PO staff at the Jamboree post office counter.

The last page was the sort of 'Crème de la Crème' as it was a milk carton produced at the time for the Scout Jamboree and was an actual carton not a photograph or cut out. There cannot be many of those left!

Included in the collection were philatelic material, photos of the events, including ships etc. coins and other memorabilia and I thought that if there was any interest I could post some items from each event in future postings.
Would anyone be interested.

Regards to all

Ron.

Send note to Staff

Previous TopicReplies: 0 / Views: 122Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05