Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Feel About Public Auctions Without Live Viewing?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 192 / Views: 7,108Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1279 Posts
Posted 03/23/2020   9:31 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I noticed Siegel has suspended live viewing and bidding, and I wonder what Kelleher is going to do? For bidders on singles and postal history this might not be a problem but I only buy collections and I don't see how I can continue to buy unless auction houses give me a lot more pictures. What are your thoughts?

I just heard the Governor of Florida is going to insist on a 14 day quarantine for all arrivals from NYS so I guess I won't be flying up to White Plains for Kelleher in the near future.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
143 Posts
Posted 03/23/2020   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mirman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to buy this way would be like buying a used car and not test driving it and/or not having a mechanic to inspect the car. Sure the album could be loaded but with 500 copies each of very common stamps x 500 different stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4625 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would ask David or Max about looking at the material via Facetime or similar. As far as the travel quarentine have you thought about flying into Hartford (BDL)?
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperJD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not knowing what I'm getting is my main issue with buying collections from a distance as well. Because I have toddler aged kids and a full time job I can not attend auctions in person or inspect the lots. This is why I used buy from Fusco Auctions without fail, because they always had enough pictures to give me a good idea of what I would get and I was always happy with what I got in terms of both quality and value. Unfortunately they went out of business and since then I have bought from 5 or so other auction houses with their minimalist descriptions and pictures of binders. What I got was of OK value but sometimes included a lot of junk (to me) which would have made me pass if I'd known it was there. I would love if there was an auction house with more pictures. I don't need to see every page like eBay sellers show, but a good representation would be welcome.
Learn More...
8268 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   04:52 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This topic is a good example of how our hobby should be rethinking about how it uses online technologies. It is not rocket science nor does it take a massive investment to improve online technologies for philatelic organizations and companies.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4625 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Harmer Schau started promoting the use of Facetime to view lots not long ago.

http://goscf.com/t/65095

Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   08:31 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One gripe I have with Michael Aldrich (ABC Auctions -- Not MEA) is there are plenty of pictures but they're so small you can barely make out what you're bidding on.
Anyone else agree?
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This may all be a moot point as certain parts of the country shut down to essential workers only. As much a stamps are essential to all of us they are not an essential part of getting thru the pandemic.

Todays dose of reality from Rich60 - LOL
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4625 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Typesetter - I laughed when you mentioned ABC pics. It drives me nuts!
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rogdcam: seriously? How about not traveling at all? Why would you recommend that someone risk everyone's health by getting on an airplane? Are you aware of the ongoing plague?
Edited by Philazilla - 03/24/2020 09:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4625 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil - Cool your jets. Nobody is recommending traveling. Read the op's question. Jeez
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is your quote @rogdcam: " As far as the travel quarentine have you thought about flying into Hartford (BDL)?" I have no trouble with reading comprehension.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4625 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That does not mean that travel is recommended right now, does it? The Kelleher collection auction will not be until May or June/July at best. Do you know what things will be like in May, June or July? Everybody needs to take a deep breath and calm down.

Cheers
Valued Member
169 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken

When the Wuhan Virus smoke clears, you should consider Stewart Airport for your trips to Danbury. Straight shot east on I84...equidistant to the White Plains/Danbury drive and much closer than Hartford. Also flights to White Plains are at a premium as Fairfield flyers don't want to deal with the hassle and traffic of LaGuardia, JFK or Newark.

Bob(from CT)
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fair enough @rodgcam. . . It is going to be several months before air travel is okay again. I'll bet my stamp collection that we won't be flying regularly by May.
Edited by Philazilla - 03/24/2020 11:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
516 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to see auction houses support remote viewing of lots, along with fuller pictures online. The idea of having to show up in person just to view lots beforehand so you know what you're actually bidding on is frankly ridiculous.
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 192 / Views: 7,108Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05