Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Feel About Public Auctions Without Live Viewing?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 192 / Views: 7,118Next Topic
Page: of 13
Valued Member
239 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revcollector: Understood. Glad to be part of an upscale hobby then:-)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4626 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev - That makes no sense. You are saying that for older and more financially secure collectors nothing has changed. The market right now HAS changed and the status quo and change do not live together. See what I mean? No, this has nothing to do with the usual suspects, retirees had time on their hands anyway, and dealers are not the ones bumping prices into crazy territory because that is a lousy business model. More people have entered the arena (read new) and they have disposable income that would have gone elsewhere if not for COVID. Makes sense to me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is not my perspective from working within the hobby. Collectors have no place to go, no ability to spend money in restaurants, bars, travel, etc. So stamps are one place they are spending it. Dealers are selling material at a faster pace because of it, and have no where else to replenish their stock. It works fine, dealers always have a certain amount of leeway on large lots, and they are not spending money on travel, hotels, and food while at shows. To a dealer, the difference between spending 15% of cat and 20% or even 25% of cat can be made up in a strong market. And since dealers only buy what they know they can sell, it leaves plenty of more specialized material to the collectors. I doubt that there is any large influx of new buyers, just more people who are already in the hobby having nothing else to do and no place else to spend the money.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4626 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We will have to agree to disagree. I do not see seasoned collectors decide that they will now pay multiples of what they normally would for bread and butter material. Newbies are. There have been some on this forum recently and what was paid for eBay lots was a hot topic.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's an all-or-nothing proposition. Yes, I think there is new blood entering the hobby, but I also thing that many existing active collectors are also "ponying up" to get material they want/need. Personally, I know I've paid more than I typically would for a few lots recently. The alternative is letting them go by, which is certainly an option for some items, but for others that may be difficult to source elsewhere, you either pay up or regret it down the line... IMO.
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/22/2020 8:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure, some newbies will buy a few lots on eBay, but they are not suddenly spending big bucks at auctions like Kelleher.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree. If they are new "investors" ala clients that both whatshisname from the ASDA magazine is marketing to, or Tom Droege's new investor service, I could easily see new money entering into the market. Granted, one would expect those players to be focusing on high-end or high-grade singles rather than collections, but one can never tell.

Bottom line: we do not and will not know the composition of the demographics driving prices up.

It just is what it is.
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think there is an influx of newbies. We have seen a bunch of newbie questions lately here. Having said that, I am a well established long-time collector. I have certain areas that I like to concentrate on, and when I cannot find that material I will try to add to my Internationals (nothing high-powered at all, but fun to play with). With no shows and no retail stores being open, I have a few of my sources of material not available. I just have not seen as much of the material that I gravitate towards. So...... I have been buying country collections, cartons, etc, to satisfy my stamp 'needs' (it's like a drug!) AND since I am not going out to restaurants, movies, pubs, etc, I have been buying a LOT more of the stuff that I can. I have probably been spending 2 or 3 TIMES what I normally spend over the last few months. I am lucky - I work in the defense industry, so I go to work every day and get a paycheck, unlike so many people.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4626 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Point well taken on Kelleher. That I explain by the dearth of meaty auctions since the Chinese Virus arrived. For myself I am willing to pay more for the larger lots that I like because if I want my entertainment there are far fewer opportunities.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   9:37 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect it is mostly not newbies, but rather the result of established collectors who can't go anywhere and thus have unspent money and more time. I know my spending is up recently.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4773 Posts
Posted 07/25/2020   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with many of the post here , it is not just one answer but many of the above posters are correct .

I can only speak about my recent experience ,so here it is .

As fast as I can make up lots for us to sell and list them on eBay and Hipstamps they are sold , I make up lots and Art lists and mails them . We are getting a higher percentage of newer low feedback customers .

I purchase larger lots from the big three stamp auction firms and break out what I want to keep or hold onto and sell off the rest . This allows me to add to my collection and also I spend more than my share of what sells ,so it is not a business to me ,I sell because it gives me the ablity to buy more stuff .

The kicker here the Stamp auction firms are starting to break down these larger lots into smaller sections and taking away the profitablity of these huge end of auction offerings .There are two factors here ,first there are less huge inventories coming to the auction firms and second the firms realise there is more profit to them selling smaller lots at public auction on-line to new customers than the same old group of dealers .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/25/2020   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you are talking about non US lots; the US large lots seem the same as they usually are.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4773 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ,my interest are worldwide stamps ,I just don't follow U.S. material but do get a fair share of cheaper U.S. in those bulk lots .

Looking forward to the next 15 days with auctions at Rasdale's ,Harmers and Kelleher . Lots of material ,I am sure plenty of dealers and eBay sellers are looking for new material.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1279 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   2:44 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did anybody bid/watch Harmers? I'm not a US expert but I watched the US collections sell and bidding seemed pretty enthusiastic to me.

I was 2 for 2 in my niche without too much opposition so I was pleased.

Remember don't bid against me tomorrow at Kellehers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   3:27 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went 0 for at Harmers. Was prepared to bid on 5 lots, 3 of which quickly went above my max before I even had a chance to bid, and was the underbidder on the other 2. One of them I stretched above my max as it was, but in retrospect I think I should have pushed higher... but who knows what it would have taken to win.

Philatelic down market my furry fanny...
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 192 / Views: 7,118Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05