Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Feel About Public Auctions Without Live Viewing?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 228 / Views: 8,680Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4764 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was interested in two Harmer lots and each one went for 3.5 times the estimate. Needless to say I was not the winner since there was no chance to inspect and zero scans provided.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1298 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   4:16 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find Harmers a little difficult. Their website is difficult to navigate and they show a $ amount for each item but don't identify it as an estimate. On the other hand last summer I made a great deal with them on a big unsold lot and they were great to deal with on the phone.

One lot I bought was for resale and I'm hopeful, the other lot had pictures and I wanted it for myself.

Several items I want tomorrow but no big WW collections anywhere. I'm changing my eBay selling strategy because no big WW collections have been offered since February.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4831 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only W.W. collection lot is the Kelleher lot 350 , It should go between $6,000 and $8,000 . Not sure how many are stuck down which could be a problem for a reseller .The second problem is stamps on both sides of a page .

Expect high prices to continue tomorrow .

Can't believe the prices Harmers got this week ,somebody had to be viewing these lots ,price went too high for the limited descriptions and pictures .
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had 6 lots pinned on SAN. Asked for pics and was told they were uploaded and others would be too, on their own site of course. The person at Harmer was very polite and I received a quick reply. Tried viewing the pics and it was just too frustrating. A truly horrible way to post pics for viewing. 100+ pics and you need to click on each individual "arrow" to see the next? Want to see the last few pics but I need to click 100+ times? I finally just said screw it and walked away. Maybe i'll send them an email with my thoughts. Or not.

I know it might sound nit picky but the last thing I want to do is visit different sites for one auction. Just post pics that are easily seen and at least have links on SAN.

Kelleher OTOH with their one click PDF files? That is the way to go imho. Sooooooo much easier and faster.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
524 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope that Kelleher continues the trend of good PDFs/videos for their larger lots, it's very nice. Would love to see more auction houses follow. I am sitting the auction tomorrow out (although I may follow along to see how the bidding goes) as a recent purchase from them was a little disappointing as regards the quality of some of the mint material. So I'll keep those dollars for some of the Canadian auctions coming up in September instead (R Maresch, Sparks).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1298 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   6:50 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anybody win anything today? I bought 187 lbs. in 4 lots.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5034 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A sort of Bryson DeChambeau of a purchase then.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4764 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I took a pass Ken. I am waiting for some juice to appear at some point. It HAS to be out there waiting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1298 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   7:57 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My shelves are literally empty, so I was happy to get some material. I even dipped my toe into US. US seems to be much more plentiful but I don't know if it will work for me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6939 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There were some pretty good US large lots in this sale.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
75 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2 US Possession lots at Kelleher got away from me. Loser remorse today for not trying one more increment, but without seeing more I could not pulled the trigger. Unfortunately I missed out on all the US lots hoping for the US possessions. Better luck next time....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6939 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The possessions lots were good lots, worth the strong bids.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2715 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   8:28 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutch Country again without a floor auction was pretty rough when it comes to bidding. I was able to squeak out one win with a piddly cheap lot no one else wanted, but again so many other lots went well beyond the estimates.
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
^^ lol I'm kind of dreading tomorrow's session.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4831 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will try Dutch Country tomorrow for the first time .Looking at a few specialized lots that most dealers and collectors will pass over .Already planing to go over estimates on each one .
Page: of 16 Replies: 228 / Views: 8,680Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05