Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Feel About Public Auctions Without Live Viewing?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 240 / Views: 9,463Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4923 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In every NYStamps listing:

Consignment Accepted:

Consignment fee only 15%, and $2000 minimal total cash value! We are leading stamp dealers, with extensive experience, regular worldwide customer, each item with large number of photos, to realized the full potential of your material. We also make on the spot cash purchases. Our contact info is inside our eBay store, "about the seller" link at the bottom left panel, or via eBay message.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7011 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We also make on the spot cash purchases.

I am sure that far more often then not that is what happens unless the material is VERY strong.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2396 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   10:17 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder if they mean 15% only or 15% on top of eBay and PP fees, because if it is only 15% that leaves them with well under 10% even if they are getting a TRS discount.
Edited by eyeonwall - 09/19/2020 10:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4899 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it just me or do others get upset that Roger's/Kelleher Auction that they can't post winning results after the auction ,would like to see the price realized and see on SAN if I won a lot . I know they haven't in the past ,but have they got a reason for it .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4935 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   1:04 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Kelleher posts results for their major auctions, just not the smaller weekly auctions. Could be that those are handled differently.
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's this lack of transparency that contributes greatly to my not bidding at those auctions. It just strikes me as (for lack of a better word) hinky. It makes my spidey-sense tingle.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5093 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's odd business too. Posting the results often means that people see the gaps and pick up more, unsold items at the reserve.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2396 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   2:53 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect the house owns all the items in the smaller auctions.
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ronv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of discussion here about buying at auction. What are "red flags" to watch for if consigning to an SAN auction house.
Valued Member
Learn More...
489 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
W/r to the weekly Kelleher internet auctions, the house may own some (I have no idea), but for sure not all of the items. I've had a number items consigned to them included in those auctions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1608 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few thoughts...

High commissions (on either end of the equation)

An auction house you haven't heard of

An auction house that does not specialize in your type of material

An auction house that does not provide adequate photos (I'd negotiate that part- even offer to make scans for them)

An auction house that provides poor descriptions

An auction house that is very lackadaisical in breaking up collections properly for the benefit of the consignor

If your collection is focused on a particular area of foreign, perhaps seek an auction house based in your area(s) of interest. (e.g. If you have significant holdings of Scandinavia, consider consigning to an auction house in Sweden or Norway). Make sure to account for the cost of shipping your items insured in your assessment. Also consider consigning different parts of your collection to different auctions who specialize in particular areas. Again, this assumes your collection has depth including higher-priced individual items.

Edited by shermae - 09/21/2020 3:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4899 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RONV ----There are a lot of red flags .......too many to list here .....the key at the beginning is to deal where you see people here are actively buying or selling .Even at the best firms there are caution steps to take .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1318 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   11:50 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received my items from the Siegel sale today. Very interesting to say the least. I was a little disappointed with the auction, I'd spent hours reviewing the Youtube videos at 1/4 speed as Don suggested. After all this review I wanted lot 1801 (est. $4000-5000) and 1813 (est. $1000-1500) with a couple other fallbacks.

Lot 1801 went to $17,000 and I bailed, my wife was looking over my shoulder and I didn't think she could deal with it if I punched the 20K button. After this tragic loss I bid on a couple more and lost. I'd reviewed Lot 1807 but crossed it off but I really needed a collection to sell so I went after 1807 and got it for $5500 (est $2000-3000) and I was able to get 1813 for $3750. I second guessed myself about 50 times while waiting for my purchases but today they arrived. Here is a picture of the 1840-1940 portion of 1807.

Yes they are huge and it's a beautiful collection, far better than I expected. I appreciate all the work Siegel did with the videos but they just didn't do this collection justice. If I'd seen this collection in person I'd have happily bid $10K and probably chased it to $12K. That's the problem with not actually seeing the items, but this time it worked out for me.

Siegel's packing was also interesting. I bought a 4 volume Scott collection, a 3 volume Scott and an album of covers. Siegel shipped them all in one giant box which I had to carry into the house on a dolly. Their Invoice was in a high quality unbendable envelop but my collections were each in it's own garbage bag. They put 4 volumes in 1 bag and labeled it and the 3 volumes were in the other bag. The albums arrived undamaged but I guess Siegel doesn't have much respect for low level stuff like this, but I'm happy!!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4923 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I now have bulging album envy. Size DOES matter.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
52 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnimatedFDCs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just like everything else when looking for an auction house try to do your homework. Do they typically carry/handle your type of material, do they post prices realized, are they transparent when it comes to procedures, how "visible" are they. All we can do, when either buying or selling, is be as informed as possible.
Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 240 / Views: 9,463Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05