Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

9p Bister P2, 1862, Wmk 24, MNH, Og And Small Repair Right Corner Down

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,953Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
104 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patrasf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I brought this stamp with my small collection for sale to an Auction house. And when we get to this stamp, which is MNH,OG, with a tiny professional repair corner right down that not even touch the border of the design, I got like estimate value $300.00 Canadian dollars, not even US.
Considering the catalog value for a MNH OG $ 5500.00 US in 2005 Scott catalog, here is my question to you, as many professionals are here: what should be approximately the selling price in suction?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
104 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patrasf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry: auction
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a couple of issues at work here that decrease the value. First of course is the repaired tear which is pretty visible. The other is the cut off perforations on the left side, but it's not just cut off perforations, because, in view of the corner letters, this is a so-called "wing margin" stamp. A note in the Stanley Gibbons catalogue explains what these are, an extra wide margin on one side of certain of the surface-printed stamps from 1862-1867. In the case of the 9 pence stamp with emblem watermark, having the letter D,E,H or I in the lower right corner, it was on the left side and about 5 mm wider than the normal margin, like the example below. A few years ago I bought an unused copy of SG 121, the very scarce two shilling brown stamp from the 1867-1880 series, with the wing margin cut off and a Specimen overprint. Scott doesn't list these with the overprint, but SG does. It lists that stamp at 3800 pounds, but largely because of the straight edge I was able to buy it from a UK dealer for about 300 pounds, less than a tenth of catalogue price. This explains the offer you were given.
Valued Member
Canada
104 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patrasf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much. Very interesting information.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,953Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05