Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing Stamp Hinges

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

3 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add XC_Runner18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I am a new stamp collector who has inherited my collection recently. I have noticed that a lot of stamps have parts of hinges on the back. What would be the recommended way of taking off these hinges that? I have been soaking them off but I was curious if there was a better way of removing them.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4696 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   4:40 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Soaking is the only safe way - carry on!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28808 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cold or Room temp water only,
Do not soak early Netherlands Indies ever.
and early English revenue stamps.
3 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add XC_Runner18 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice. I also had some difficulty drying stamps because whenever I dry them in between 2 pieces of paper towel they always get stuck to the paper towel and I have to use my tongs to get them up. Also after drying them up they seem to curl up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1300 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
XC Runner 18: welcome to the Forum. I haven't soaked stamps for while, but recall placing the stamps face down on one paper towel. Yes, they do curl, but I've never had them stick. What I've done then is place the dried stamps on another paper towel and place a clean zip lock bag(s) on top; very gently. I then place a magazine on top, as a light weight item to flatten them. Takes a day or two to flatten, but they generally stay flat. Others may have a different method.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3710 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The information below relates to soaking stamps off paper, not to hinge removal. So, if you have on-paper/kiloware stamps, this may be helpful.

Many modern, soakable stamps are gummed with PVA glue. This is a stubborn glue that will stay on the back of a stamp when you think it is clean.

When soaking modern stamps, it is a good idea to lightly rub the back of each stamp and then dip it in the soaking pan. If you see a milky cloud in the water, then you know you have PVA to rub off each stamp. Usually, I repeat the rubbing process to completely remove the gum/glue.

If you do not clean the stamps thoroughly, then a worse problem can happen. Stamps with PVA remains will stick together if stored in a glassine envelope. The PVA can damage the print on the stamps.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/24/2020 7:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1243 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the drying books that are available from philatelic supply dealers ("Desert Magic" is my preferred). The leaves alternate between blotting paper and a non-stick surface. Soak the stamp, make sure all residue is washed off, place it face up on the nonstick page and close the book. Put a weight on top and after a day the stamp is dry with never a curl.
Valued Member
32 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatelycanada to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I do soak stamps ( which is not often at all ) I use hot water after it boiled in the kettle.

Mainly I soak off modern pressure sensitive stamps from Canada, the States and Australia
but also from NZ and a few other places that use the same technology.
Never had an issue with it. I lay them face down and pour the boiling water on them. They do need to sit for about 20 minutes or so. The same procedure applies to stamps that have been applied to vinyl envelopes as well.

The hot water will keep the layer of glue on the envelope ( As seen in the photo )
The stamps were in the water for about 20 minutes. As seen, the water hasn't penetrated to the middle of the stamps yet.

Photo 1. Paper envelope method
Photo 2. Vinyl envelope

Valued Member
Canada
30 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bicolor1875 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
modern issues are adhesives for most part.. so hinge cleanup is unlikely. I use heptane to remove from paper or vinyl; then set on silicone sheets, or clear vinyl sheets.

adhesive residue is enough for replacement. otherwise, rubber cement precludes water-immersion as hinge cleanup.

Bestine is sold in art supplies ... it does not damage album papers, as water does. commercial artists use both poducts for artwork.
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrGG to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can hinges be removed using the Stamp Lift? That doesn't soak the stamp
Valued Member
Canada
104 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patrasf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My self I 'm using a small piece of normal paper, and I go between the hinge and the stamp. Never had any accidents.Going carefully to righ and right ip and left up.I working and normally is no traces of the hinge at all.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1720 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to try that, patrasf. I've always been a soaker, myself.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1243 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can hinges be removed using the Stamp Lift? That doesn't soak the stamp

DrGG, StampLift can be used to remove hinges, but I've never been thrilled with it. Hinges on used stamps can easily be soaked off, and hinges can be removed from stamps with OG using water, an artists paintbrush and some patience (with minimal gum disturbance).
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrGG to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp Lift worked perfectly
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2140 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   10:05 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"When soaking modern stamps, it is a good idea to lightly rub the back of each stamp and then dip it in the soaking pan. If you see a milky cloud in the water, then you know you have PVA to rub off each stamp. Usually, I repeat the rubbing process to completely remove the gum/glue."

yes, you do need to remove all the gum, or they can get stuck again - just be carefully not to rub too hard or you will damage the paper
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   02:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I soak off hinges. A slight miscalculation as to the 'stuckedness' of a hinge can easily result in a thinned stamp.

I soak in cool water (I must admit, I don't collect modern stamps so the issue of the modern gum is not an issue for me) and then go through the bunch to remove all the paper/hinges/whatever that I was soaking off. I have another pan of new/clean water and as I am running them between my fingers one-by-one to FEEL that they are free of stuff on their backs, I toss them into the new water, just to make sure everything is cleared off the back - this is optional, but works for me. I dry in an old phone book (white pages only) - like 10 years old, so the 'newsprint' doesn't mar the stamps. Place a weight on the phone book, and let it all dry for a couple days. I live near a large city, so the phone book is huge - I have torn strips of paper which I use as 'bookmarks' and slip one in each page that has stamps. the process is time consuming, but I find it to be very therapeutic.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05