Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Recent Adventure With A Never Hinged Purchase From Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1378 Posts
Posted 03/24/2020   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add shermae to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I overlaid the backs of the stamps next to the description found on the lot (and in the envelope). There is no freakin' way the seller, Weeda, can blame this on "failing eyesight." It's gotten so exasperating, I've started to ask sellers before payment to review the stamps and confirm back that they are indeed never hinged.

One recently melted down on me and cancelled the transaction. Good.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   02:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1594 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   04:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe he just meant they were never hinged at some point :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   08:23 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never hinged on the bottom, just the top.
There, fixed it for you.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4201 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Close enough for Government work.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1378 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some good laughs and smiles- thanks guys. :-)
Valued Member
Learn More...
230 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
unbelievable! people are nuts sometimes. I sold a car on eBay once and helped the buyer by driving it to his garage an hour away and when I got there he tried to scam me down on the price by putting a paint meter on the car and saying it had been in an accident.........
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1720 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never really have had any issues with Weeda.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
550 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear about this.
Pillar Of The Community
719 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that they slap "mint never hinged" automatically on any stamp that is unused and clean and looks mint from the front. The "never hinged" part should be a separate description, but it you're too lazy to actually check some graders who are in a rush just call anything mint "MNH" which is, of course, really dumb. But laziness knows no bounds. It's likely just a case of rushing, being sloppy, and making mistakes more than trying to deceive. I mean with the hinges still attached to the back? That's a new level of cluelessness.

Just tell the seller there's a mistake, and he'll undoubtedly apologize and take it back. Even "mint" gets misapplied. "Mint" means "post office fresh" and "unused" but I've seen it applied to some unused stamps that look like they spent time in someone's wallet.
Edited by DrewM - 03/26/2020 12:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1897 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its really a personal choice, how much grief you care to deal with, regarding whom you purchase from.

I have a small list of vendors that I do business with, and I mostly limit myself to them.
Valued Member
354 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I imagine the seller (normally reputable) didn't verify the contents of the envelope and will be more than happy to make things right for you. Unfortunately, this is commonplace in today's e-commerce era. At least you could do your own check in the days of the stamp shop.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1378 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Drew hit the nail dead on. Sellers want everything to be MNH because those stamps are more valuable than mint. So a quick look at a VLH stamp quickly morphs into MNH. VLH in almost every case can be seen, IF* you take the time to bounce incandescent light tangentially off the gum. Sunlight works even better and is safe since it doesn't have to be direct sunlight. So wishfullness and laziness are at play in this case.

Weeda claimed that a new employee "graded" the set, causing the error. So if the employee is new, no check is done on their work? Or double checked when the order is packed and shipped? Again, wishfullness and laziness. Why check a MNH set when it is the most fruitful version of a mint stamp? Let it ride! And blaming things on a "new" staffer- man if I had a dime for every time I've heard this. SELLER- it's a deliberate act of omission for which YOU are responsible and accountable. It's just as deliberate as knowing the set was hinged in the first place. What do you think will happen if you don't check?

Lastly, there are those sellers who KNOW* they peeled that damn set out of an album but figure if the hinging is light enough, well.... screw the buyer and let them find it.

If I had txstamp's attitude and approach, I am sure I'd be a lot happier despite having a smaller collection. He has it right.
Edited by shermae - 03/26/2020 8:00 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28809 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Weeda claimed that a new employee "graded" the set,

I am a strong believer in "walking in the shoes of others"
But I don't buy that new employee reason either.
If one pays good money for MNH, then one should expect better than that.
I felt in the past Weeda was a nice family business,
but never bought there as the images were lacking.

Recently, I have had emails from a couple of Philatelic clubs, asking for advice, to which, I reply same day.

That's it, I never hear from them again, no "received your email" or "Thanks" nothing.

I am finding email etiquette , or just common courtesy, is lacking in some areas.

Edited by rod222 - 03/26/2020 8:52 pm
Valued Member
114 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fantail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have one question to ask, when you contacted them, did they offer to give you a full refund?
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sheetguy2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Leave appropiate feedback....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05