Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postal History Map Of The United States

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
990 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chipg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I mentioned this in another thread, so thought I should post it for your viewing pleasure.

I showed something a bit different at the last Balpex, Nojex, and Garfield-Perry shows. Changed a bit for each showing. This is a draft of the exhibit (3 frames) as I had it in the frames at the Collectors Club of NY. Unfortunately, didn't take a photo at Garfield-Perry of the current iteration.

One cover for each of the 50 states plus D.C. (plus an extra one in the cartouche)

An on-line version (that's a bit different) can be played with at http://states.cgpostal.com

Enjoy
Chip

Send note to Staff
Edited by chipg - 03/25/2020 11:39 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
990 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OOPS - had the wrong photo. Changed it.

Hope to show it next in Hartford at the GASS (Great American Stamp Show) in August. If there is a GASS in August).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1910 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chip, that's a really neat and pretty original exhibit.

I like the visual that you create in the frames with how you lay out your pages.

There are a lot of really nice covers in there. Kelley's Island is always a favorite, but you have a really nice selection.

One big challenge I see in this is that its hard to find really early covers from some states - Alaska, for example.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6434 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry I missed that Collectors Club meeting, I would love to have seen these.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1725 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty cool, Chipg. People are so creative.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1594 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Really cool!!
Valued Member
United States
399 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love it. You have some wonderful covers displayed in a very interesting way.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
990 Posts
Posted 03/25/2020   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. (I did remove the extra line from when I moved Alaska farther north).

Always looking to improve it, but there are a few states that are kind of place holders for now. Will never be "done." Or so I hope.

C.
Valued Member
61 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   02:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prexie3c to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A true masterpiece, chipg.

And you have just given me an idea on what I can potentially do with my Prexie 3c cover collection!

Just curious - is there an underlying theme that links all the covers together?
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning Chipg and all,

Great contribution to digital exhibiting. Technical question. Do you use drop downs or hyperlinks or what to create your detail pages? I am exploring working on a digital exhibiting program but by no means am I a programmer. See thread down board for discussion.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
990 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the online version, I bought the map code from here:

https://preview.codecanyon.net/item...4.1567630088

Only used some of the functionality, but I need to keep things simple.
If I try to learn too much, my brain will get full.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1910 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is really good with the online version, since I see that easily allows you to list as many covers as you want, per state. The frame exhibit seems tougher to do that with.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1910 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I meant to add, that this approach to collecting is somewhat similar to what I'm still looking for, for myself. Specifically, a collecting focus that allows me to have a broad loosely bound subject, which does not limit too specifically what I can buy, collect or study.

Right now, I'm looking mostly at stamped postal history from 1847-1861, but I'd prefer to include stampless, and go back a little earlier still. This way, as with your subject matter, I can study western postal history, transatlantic mail, inland waterways, and so forth, but with some over-arcing subject that ties it all together.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05