Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Old Jamaican Embossed Stamp Please Help ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 435Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ktaylork to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have inherited a small stamp collection and have been attempting research - which is extremely difficult I am finding. This particular stamp I can not find ANY info about or even a picture online anywhere. If anyone knows anything about this stamp please reply to this post. Thank you in advance for your time and info. It is green and says Jamaica 1/2d and is not a regular style stamp but instead is imprinted or embossed to the paper.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6771 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, and welcome to the forum. What you have is a Jamaican newspaper wrapper.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29340 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classified as Postal Stationery (stationery with an "E")
As Peter said, Newspaper wrapper half penny green indicia.
Postmark HALFWAY TREE Parish of Saint Andrews

The wrapper enclosed the newspaper.
Common for lots of commonwealth countries.
Circa 1952 postage rate went to 1d (One Penny)

I am at a loss to explain how that could have been mailed to USA

In 1952 Postage rate to USA was 8d per half ounce.
Edited by rod222 - 03/27/2020 6:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
895 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a word of warning: Don't attempt to cut the stamp down to size. Keep the entire wrapper intact, as it is.
Pillar Of The Community
2701 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222,
To paint with a broad brush, printed matter rates were very low including international mail often at the same rate as internal mail. I have no doubt the newspaper sent in this wrapper was fully paid at 1/2 cent in the late 1930s
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2935 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The British printed papers 2oz rate to all countries stayed at a halfpenny until 1949.
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29340 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you gentlemen...saved.
I had entertained the thought stamps may be missing off the stationery.

Half Way Tree
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colu...sroads_70376
Edited by rod222 - 03/27/2020 8:49 pm
United States
4 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ktaylork to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the info. I can not find info on this particular stamp online, were they only used for newspapers? I have seen others that dont have the domed top and in different colors. Also is this something that people collect or would it fall into the category of a cover? Thank you all again for your input - very helpful.

** On another note - I was wondering if there is a way to reply to an individual response that I received, like the responses that were left on this question? I can only seem to find the reply to topic option.
I feel like if I reply to the topic the people that took the time to answer my question may not see that I replied to their post. I dont want to come across as rude or unappreciative.... you know what I mean? So am I missing something? I hovered over all of the icons and dont see it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
780 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ktaylork

Use the three buttons on the bottom. If you'd like to address a specific response just address that person by user name.
Edited by gettinold - 03/30/2020 8:05 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05