Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ceylon 50 Rupees Stamp

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 874Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
425 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The faded color might be fugitive ink that washed off when the stamp was carelessly soaked, or it might be the result of somebody removing a fiscal cancel. The 50 rupee stamps were almost never postally used.

If I had this stamp in hand, I'd put it under a UV lamp and see if that shows traces of a pen cancel.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1426 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Rod - I no longer own a Potter & Shelton but somehow recall there were 7 printings of the 5R though I may be way off. Your image seems to have 9 distinct printings; is yours a complete "printings set?"
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29330 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae.
apologies, that is a web image, looking for example CEYLON CDS (circular Date Stamp)
I cannot find an example anywhere.
The Ceylon Philatelic Soc is only on Facebook.
I have never been on facebook.

I also, do not have a "Potter and Shelton" but will look at pricing.
I have a few 5 rupee examples myself, but not looked at them.
Edited by rod222 - 03/29/2020 12:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2593 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Ceylon cds exists in 2 forms. The wide spacing in the letters CEYLON,and the narrow spacing in Ceylon.The wide spacing type Ceylon can be found on QE stamps. The narrow spacing in the letters CEYLON can be found on KGVI & QE stamps.

Edited by perf12 - 03/29/2020 08:02 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29330 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf12 you are a wizard!
I searched for hours without success.
Great to see those Pmks, which raise more questions,
why was the date slugs often partial or missing?
Were these perhaps "relief" hammers?
Surprised to see on a Queen Elizabeth ll issue.

All high values, perhaps a Government Executive Branch of some sort,
which would explain "CEYLON" rather than a Post Office location.

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2593 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(found on internet)On this court document we have 4 KGVI stamps with the wide C E Y L O N. cancel.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29330 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Marvellous, thank you.
Narrowing it down.
You need to start a thread on illustrating your skills of Internet searching.
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The large double circle 'CEYLON' cancel is typical revenue usage. Units like Courts and Land Registry cancelled the stamps using this large double circled cancel.
Post office used a smaller double circle with town/location name for postal purposes.
Green cross is audit mark; green being reserved for the audit purposes. Post office had single pencil with red on one end and blue on the other for normal usage. Registered letters always had two lines running in the middle (vertical & horizontal) like the (India) registered envelope illustrated, marked in blue pencil.
If anyone other than the postal auditor was caught using green pencil, s/he would be terminated from service; it was that strict those days.
The stamp with green pencil mark must have been on a revenue document audited at some point in time and the auditor crossed off to signify audit. This document must have been in the holdings of a Government Department, later de-classifed. This is a rare find.
cNA
Edited by canadian - 03/31/2020 06:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2593 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the green marking is applied during an audit; it is over the cancel
then. ?
The green cross marking and curved green markings are the same audit markings ?*
Why are there 2 types of the Ceylon cancels ?

Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Q: If the green marking is applied during an audit; it is over the cancel then?
A: The audit would be at a later time then the cds; hence over the cds.

Q: The green cross marking and curved green markings are the same audit markings?
A: Green for audit of lists has a tick mark; green for others could be an "X" or some discernible cross/circle to indicate the completion of the audit.

Q: Why are there 2 types of the Ceylon cancels?
A: No idea; You can pose this question to Secretary of Ceylon Study Circle, UK.
cNA
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2593 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks canadian,I think we have pretty much covered the subject..
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 874Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05