Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying To Identify This Mysterious Asian Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 327Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
7 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BrooklynBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have spent much of the last two days trying to decipher the mystery of this stamp.

The characters are Traditional Chinese.

I have thus far managed to translate, painstakingly, the following:

Upper Left Corner: "use/employ"
Upper Right Corner: "make/manufacture"
Lower Right Corner: ""gold"
Lower Left Corner: "one's living"

In the center, the larger characters, top to bottom are: "one" and 'mace" (a unit of weight, about 1/10th of an ounce)

Inset right center, top to bottom: "Show/Manifest/demonstrate" (I have not deciphered the character to the right of the top right inset yet), "trust/believe/letter", and bottom right inset, ""use/employ"

Inset Left Center, I have not yet translated the top character, but the bottom seems to translate as "department"

I think this was used to certify the contents or value of a package, and was used internally to whatever government was in force at the time.

Stamps issued by China from the outset of China's being opened up to Europe used some English words, and some Latin numerals as a concession to the outside world. This makes no such concessions.

That flower LOOKS like a Japanese chrysanthemum but does not have as many petals as the chrysanthemums used too denote Japan on their stamps, not even as far back as when Japan was opened up.

Also, although this does not bar this stamp from coming from countries other than China, the use of Traditional Chinese does rule out Korea, which had its own alphabet by the 19th Century

I will have to consult some specialized libraries to finish this.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Israel
486 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it is a revenue stamp and that's why it's not in the regular catalog
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
895 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a Japanese savings stamp.

The corners (read top to bottom, columns right to left): Chokin Yshi 'Savings Paper'
The center: 1 sen (same character as Chinese qin 'mace')
Center sides: (read top to bottom, columns right to left): Fuku Shin'y Kumiai 'Good Fortune Credit Association'

I would guess that the floral crest (mon) at the top was the logo of the aforementioned association.

A query about a similar stamp was posted exactly one year ago: http://goscf.com/t/67120
Edited by erilaz - 03/28/2020 04:06 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29340 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you erilatz,
another Japanese unidentified, solved.

Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 327Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05