Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Parcel Post Rates In 1962 - Ballot Box Tag

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 303Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
391 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Anthraquinone to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The tag is from a ballot box that was sent to the deputy returning office by registered post in June 1962.

The postage paid was $1.30. At that time the registration fee was 35 cents so the base postage was 95 cents. I want to find the parcel post rates and so work out how much the box weighed.

In 1965 the rate for 4 lbs was $0.78 plus 1 cent for each extra ounce
for 5 lbs it was $0.94 plus 1 cent for each extra ounce.

If these rates applied in 1962 the box would have weighted 5lbs 1oz.

Can someone please confirm the 1962 rates or point me to an online source.

AQ

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
371 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the (minimum) registration fee as 20 cents from the Wilding period up to Oct. 31st, 1963. Nice piece!

Regrettably I don't have the Chung/Narbonne reference at my disposal for the time being, all the libraries here are closed.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by archerg - 03/29/2020 01:32 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
391 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   05:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the correction to the registration rate - I had made an error in what I wrote. Apparently the 35 c rate did not start until 01-11-1963

Quote:
Nice piece!
The first one I have been able to get. I was pleased to find it.

AQ
Edited by Anthraquinone - 03/29/2020 05:24 am
Valued Member
Canada
120 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I have a copy of the 1955 Canada Official Postal Guide which states under arcticle 167:

"Articles prepaid at parcel post rates cannot be registered but may be insured."

1962 shouldn't be very different.

Somewhere in the book is a section on ballot boxes, but I have not yet been able to find it as the index points to the wrong section. I'll keep looking.

Jan
Valued Member
Canada
120 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, ballot boxes are a special case. Article 307 (1955 Canada Official Postal Guide):

"Ballot boxes sent prior to a Federal election (or prior to a vote being taken under the Canada Temperance Act) by Returning Officers addressed to Deputy Returning Officers are liable to postage at parcel post rate. Returning Officers may, if they desire, send ballot boxes registered at parcel post rates, plus the registration fee.

Ballot boxes used in Federal elections or, for Canada Temperance Act votes, may on or subsequent to polling day, be mailed by Deputy Returning Officers to Returning Officers registered, free of postage, in accordance with the provisions of the Canada Elections Act.

Ballot boxes used in provincial elections and plebiscites may be mailed at parcel post rates and registered on payment of the registration fee."

In 1955, parcel post rates (up to 15 pounds) within Saskatchewan for distances over 20 miles were 16 cents for the first pound, plus 6 cents for each additional pound. In addition 1 cent for each ounce over the even pound until it reached the next even pound rate.

Jan

Valued Member
United Kingdom
391 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
J2816

Thank you for that useful info. It is a shame that these guides are not available on line - I have occasionally seen them on sale but at $40 - 50 each. For the KG6 period I collect I would need 17 or so.

AQ
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05