Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Collector Inherited 3 Stamp Books From My Ancestors

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,063Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Charnock to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I am both a coin collector and a new stamp collector due to recently receiving some stamp collection books that my ancestors used to own and collect/trade each other with.

I'm not sure on the value on any of these although I am aware some are worth a bit of money. What I've done is scanned in some images from the books, if you'd like to take a look below. Also, as there are so many stamps across 3 books if you're looking for a stamp in particular and can give me more information about I will try to see if it's in my collection.

I am just looking to see if there is any value to these stamps.

I have uploaded these to an external image hosting sites as the max uploads are 200KB.

I have uploaded pages which contain US stamps including Newfoundland, Great Britain, Austria, Philatelic Exhibition stamps?

Also, a WW1 postcard who I would love to give to the family it came [/code]from (if anyone knows how I can locate the family, that'd be great), it was sent to my Great Uncle who was also a Doctor so any information on how to track down a relative from Dr. Arthur-Williams would be amazing.

Many thanks for any help :)
Send note to Staff
Edited by Charnock - 03/28/2020 6:33 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3459 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Comment 1: I can't get any of your links to work.

Comment 2: If you are looking to buy, trade, or sell, be sure to read the rules.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6772 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same here - none of the links are working

Peter
Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Charnock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies about the links not working guys. I'm not sure why the post editor won't let me use the hyperlink function.

If you paste the links into any browser then it will work.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4793 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps you could scan some pages and upload into the thread, rather than creating external links.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Charnock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha! Finally figured it out
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4372 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool to see an old collection like this. My first impression is that overall condition is very rough with many stamps torn, missing pieces and other wise damaged. There is also mold visible in the albums. I am not seeing a lot of value based upon your limited scans but with these old time collections you never know what could be lurking.

The albums should probably be reviewed in person by a knowledgeable philatelic auction house.

Question: Are the stamps mounted with paper hinges or glued to the pages?
Edited by rogdcam - 03/28/2020 6:43 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29354 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your Great Uncle lived in a Georgian House at "The Green"
It was demolished in 1967
Aberyshwyth.

Locating relatives of Dr Williams would be a near impossibility.
We have no way of knowing, his birthplace / location,
and he has a very common Christian name and Surname.

A remote possibility, is finding the location of the field Post office Z
during that time, and perhaps locating Dr Williams from there.
Doubtful.

Base Army Post Office Z in July 1915, was at Alexandria Egypt.

Edited by rod222 - 03/28/2020 7:01 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Charnock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rod222 That's interesting, maybe that could also account for the Egyptian stamps he had.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Charnock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rogdcam They're mounted with paper hinges
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29354 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RAMC
Royal Army Medical Corps
(just presuming the Brits and Aussies were using the same hospital,
Google Victoria College, it was a huge building)

I can search Aussie names from our War Memorial archive,
you may be able to also, with your own Brit. War links, I have no info on that.

No. 17 General Hospital arrived in Alexandria around April 1915 and was located in the Victoria College in Alexandria
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29354 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appraisal opinion.
Lovely potential collection of stamps, the sheet of Blues is just magnificent,
treat with kid gloves and care!

Negatives: the stamps have been poorly stored, showing humidity stains,
they need to be carefully removed, some gently soaked and dried.

The sheet especially needs professional handling, they are very fragile.

Positives, cannot speak for the US or Canadian, but the commonwealth stamps have some lovely postmarks.

Just of what you have shown, I could see perhaps something up to a couple of hundred dollars, and anything in between.
For you as a new collector, you will probably need 5 -10 years of collecting behind you before becoming familiar with all the nuances of Philately, and what you may have here.

Just one stamp, can alter the value of any appraisal, so the advice you are going to get is going to be highly varied. Professional appraisal requires a knowledgeable philatelist, across a broad platform and with a magnifying glass to inspect potential (if any) postage stamps.

Perhaps reflect on your personal ideals, are you going to collect for the enjoyment of philately, or the baser target of personal financial gain?

Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Charnock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rod222

Many thanks for your messages - you're correct, that is when it was demolished - my mother grew up there for a few years.

I am quite astonished how much information you've been able to retrieve just from the postcard.

"No. 17 General Hospital arrived in Alexandria around April 1915 and was located in the Victoria College in Alexandria" - how did you find that info?
I would love to know how I could use my brit side to find if there was indeed a Dr. Arthur-Williams there too, all websites I've come across seem to come with a subscription. I've tried my luck on Ancestry.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29354 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"No. 17 General Hospital arrived in Alexandria around April 1915 and was located in the Victoria College in Alexandria" - how did you find that info?

Trial and error.
Most members here are aware that "Field Post Offices" are a subsidiary discipline in Postmark collecting.
There are dedicated Catalogues for these.
I am not aufait with the Brit. side, so I googled "Base Army Post Office Z "
and "1915" and up popped Victoria College.
It seemed likely, with the size of the Hospital, and the date, and numerous references of Aussie nurses going there, that it would be a typical destination for your Doctor.

As I said, due to his common name, it may be difficult to pin down.
As you have seen with "Ancestry"...Philately can lead one, down many corridors, Philately is not only about sticking stamps on pages.

Hopefully, you will continue with your ancestor's collection.
Philately is a hobby with no end.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29354 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charnock,
could we perhaps have a scan of the Stamp Album cover, and frontispiece please?
I collect scan of stamp albums, and yours appears to be an early one.
I am guessing a Franklin album, or Rapkin album.

This has raised my curiosity.
Edited by rod222 - 03/29/2020 4:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4793 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look like Lincoln albums.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,063Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05