Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help To Identify A Cancel On #116

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 336Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
71 Posts
Posted 03/28/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add widglo46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone tell me if the cancel on this stamp is anything special? I was wondering if it could be from a US post office in Japan.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although it is not a perfect match to the Yokohama cancels use on mail carried on the July 1, 1869 PMSS trip from Yokohama to San Francisco, it is probably a genuine Yokohama cancel from a piece of mail carried on that trip. It is quite similar to the cover in Figure 7-21 in the book "United States Post Offices in China and Japan, 1867 to 1874."

I am not sure what the Philatelic Foundation would say but it is my opinion that it is a variant, late state of cancel type "YOK-Can4".

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much, Richard, for your opinion and for the reference to your book. You may see an order for a copy coming from me soon! I knew nothing about the US post offices in Japan until my interest was piqued by several 1869 pictorials in Siegel's upcoming sale of the Edward Morton collection. I noticed a certain similarity of the cancel on my #116 to the "X" cancel from Nagasaki, and I thought maybe mine could be from another Japanese city.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05