Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Corona Flu And The Stamp Market .

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 3,315Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
8055 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   03:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The stock and oil market drop was so far and so fast that panic selling set in and people with margin calls were forced to sell anything thta was easy to sell and they sold off precious metals, so they are down, not up.

True but over the last 30 days Gold is up $31 or 2%. On Jan 15 gold was around $1549 and today it is close to $1620. There was a drop 2 weeks ago due to the reason that you mention (it recovered quickly) but overall Gold is up following the 'world in trouble' trend which is historically seen.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My sales have been strong since Xmas. They have grown every week and this past weekend was best so far this year. I have been home for last 2 weeks and took the oppurtunity to list many items. I concentrated on lower priced items to stir up more interest plus I had time to list items in areas/countries where I don't usually list a lot due to time constraints. Still selling items in the $ 15-25 with strong bidding on lots and collections. Happy with my sales but not so happy with the possible reasons that are driving it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1427 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing I have noticed about eBay is my daily search-results emails have noticeably fewer "hits." I've interpreted this to mean sellers are listing fewer items, especially those sellers who are in Europe.
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

Don, it may be too early to be meaningful but how are the metrics on this board looking? Are the number of monthly visits continuing to increase? Also, can you see any change in the number of first time visitors both casual lookers and folks signing up to play?

Wishing all health and philatelic pleasure. Russ

PS: The virus has struck: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Registe...AOSwJHhegMXw
Edited by hoosierboy - 03/30/2020 12:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been shopping for used H.E. Harris Citation albums for the past year, mostly to acquire some binders in good condition, but also for the stamps. I've tracked e-bay auctions of these (auctions, not fixed price offerings) since March of last year, with over 200 entries so far.

Albums in good condition with 3,000 5,000 stamps have been mostly selling in the $45 - $60 range. For the past couple of weeks these have shot up to $70, $80, and beyond. Last night there were 4 of these albums with 3,000 5,600 stamps from 2 different sellers, all with starting bids under $30.00. A couple of the listings indicated that the binder was in poor condition. These 4 sold for $163.50, $187.50, $204.00, and $212.50.

I'm speculating that there are people who have more time right now to spend on e-bay. Either their philatelic budget hasn't changed or the economic realities of their situation hasn't caught up with them.
Learn More...
8055 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   12:03 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russ,
For Stamp Smarter, March traffic was 54% greater this month than the same time last year.
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
347 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, what were last month's numbers? Is everything trending up?

Is it just you are more popular now and have had a steady increase, or is it all us folks working from home now checking in now and then between boring emails?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2700 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   1:16 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on the cusp of having one of my huge 3,000+ cover auctions on eBay, but I'm holding off until the worst of this is over and international mail delivery disruptions decline. No reason to go to the post office more than I have to. Instead I'm going to just keep on working up material for better days and I'm not short of material to do so.

I have noticed that the posts on the philatelic Facebook pages has greatly increased in number as well. Lots of online activity.

As for upcoming auctions it will be interesting to see what happens as some auction houses have already scrapped the floor auctions. Online only!
Valued Member
Ireland
226 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My interest on eBay is very much focused on specific accessories...albums, mounts etc.
But in the absence of having no "new" kiloware to sort, I might be tempted back. I would never make a purchase of more than $15-20 online. Mail delivery here is still reasonably normal but I think it is only a matter of time before they are suspended.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29410 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4633 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp market is like a stool with three legs ,first the high end stuff that are sold at public auctions ,the second leg is the collectible material that ranges from $300.00 catalog down to the $25.00 catalog range . The last and biggest market is the 2 cents to $20.00 range .

The high end is going to take a nose dive ,it will be better stuff held back by the auction firms,I don't think the auction firms have the money or the will to buy so they can resell at a later date . The Sorry part will be the people who have to let go and sell ,these are the biggest losers because prices realized are going to be way down .

The middle section leg of the stool will also take a nose dive with the economy and this is where you can see bargins and filling holes in one's collection will be a active area but at lower prices .

The last leg will actually see a increase in sale with some better pricing for mixture boxes, treasure boxes and album pages . Any collections/mixture lots should do well as more people are shut-in and want something to do .Look for a active internet market here in sales .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4382 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Kelleher sale today will be interesting to watch. So far the opening bids are showing more strength then I typically see. I think that if Siegel was not seeing traffic and book bids for say the Morton sale they would reschedule it if contractually possible. My guess is that sales will be counterintuitively strong across the board. We shall see.

Add: 40 minutes prior to the Kelleher sale and opening bids posted are the strongest that I have ever seen.
Edited by rogdcam - 04/01/2020 09:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6622 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Meanwhile 113 lots out of 783 did not sell, and those that did seemed to be about average for an auction.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4633 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First 12 lots , 5 of 12 no bids ,6 of 12 went for opening and only 1 had 2 bids . Not a good start .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4382 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The lots yesterday were autographs and postal history that frankly did about as well as they usually would have at Kelleher. We must be watching two different Kelleher auctions right now because I see nothing different from an ordinary Kelleher auction except that there is more spirited bidding then their last two Flagship sales. Look back at the previous sales and make a comparison. It could be enlightening.

Perhaps I want to see the best and some others want to see the worst. Who knows.

I do know that I have some higher end US for sale by private treaty right now and sales are doing very well. In fact yesterday was one of the best days.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 3,315Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05