Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Corona Flu And The Stamp Market .

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 3,278Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4369 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just need to get two of those rich people collectors with a fetish for German militaria that collect zeppelin items together ...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4628 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got the Bulolo Goldfields today ....missed at two previous auctions ....happy .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4369 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Congratulations Floortrader.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4369 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the Kelleher sale went well. I was surprised at the Persia material that had several lots going for ten times estimate.

And there was this yesterday from Siegel regarding the upcoming Morton sale:

"If you wish to bid by phone, please contact us soon, since we have a high level of phone demand for this auction."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4369 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I watched the Modern Stamp auction on SAN today and it had a lot of internet bidders. This was Modern's first time on SAN with live bidders and I hope that their success keeps them doing it. It is all lower end material for the most part and is a lot of fun.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1753 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you buy stamps, don't lick them!

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4771 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   9:12 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay has been strong for me the past month. Buying from international sellers is a problem though; I had one seller tell my that I could either pay for EMS ($30+) or wait until after the virus peak has passed and normal flights resume. I opted for the latter since it's not a very expensive item. This is a case where I'm glad the PayPal dispute window for nonreceipt is now 180 days.

I had a couple of lots in Kelleher's auction on my radar and I bid live in the U.S. revenue session. Competition was strong. I got outbid on two lots I wanted and and got pushed to the limit on the one I wanted the most, but I won it.

Conversely, there was a lot that while it wasn't initially in my lots of interest, I was surprised got passed, so I messaged them and asked them to reopen it, so got it for the opening bid. I'll be interested to view it in hand to see whether it's legit. The description mentioned nothing about its importance, rarity, or provenance... I do have questions whether it's genuine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1427 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Normally I would not pay much attention to a Kelleher auction as I don't collect US. But there were some compelling Commonwealth items offered including an extremely difficult Malaya States set from the 1930's. I did not expect to win anything, yet won 3 lots including the Malaya.

I was timid about a Papau complete Lakatoi set but should have stepped up as it sold only $10 above my top bid. It was a true bargain.

There was a very desirable 1913 Zanzibar set with high-denomination Dhows offered that was extremely tempting but I passed on it out of fear I would be in too deep this month. Still I was thrilled to score the Malaya set, priced quite reasonably even with the 20% bidders bump.
Valued Member
Learn More...
347 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and I bid live in the U.S. revenue session

Hi Dan,

I managed to go two for two today after screwing up big time and missing the opportunity to bid on the R223 (thanks SAN for showing a 2359 closing time... ). I really wanted that stamp!

Regardless, filled two more holes in my dated greens collection and am now down to only 46 to go .

Can't be that difficult to finish, right?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4628 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae ----I see you and me are swimming in the same pond ,just glad it is big enough .
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4789 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep six feet apart, boys.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29348 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find it puzzling why any American can afford stamps,
Every one of you owe c$6,500 at the moment.
https://www.usdebtclock.org/

I dread to think what we in Oz owe.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4369 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is all funny money.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1427 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader- I am hopelessly possessed by a never hinged demon so we may not be swimming quite so closely as you may think.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4628 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae ---- I killed that demon a long time ago . As a worldwide collector ,I started keeping MNH in mounts . Problem was it kept bulking up my album pages and the books looked sloppy with all the mounts . So anything under $30.00 got hinged .

Years later at all the auctions I attended ,notice that those stamps and complete sets under $30.00 got no premium at auction time . So got away from that demon .

Now my goal is to fill my worldwide collection with stamps nobody has ....not expensive gems but the stuff others don't have or never find in a general collection .
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 3,278Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05